PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have really been over-thinking the purchase of a lighter specifically for pipe smoking. I kinda lusted for an IM Corona Old Boy, but I am too frugal to buy one new and even the used prices are fairly steep in my opinion. It may well be a wonderful lighter, but is more than I wanted to spend.

What I read of the Old Boy knockoffs made it seem that none were quite the same long term durability and quality of an Old Boy.

I finally had decided to get a zippo pipe lighter and also an aftermarket drop-in butane pipe lighter for a zippo. Thought I would compare and use the winner. Then I reflected on my personal history with any refillable butane in the $5-15 category. Every one I ever bought failed permanently within months. I also don’t care for refilling a zippo with lighter fluid. I’m too messy and it gets on me every time. Seems like you have to refill fairly often too.

I remembered seeing a “new” Bic lighter, the EZ Reach. I thought that looked like it might just be the ticket. Perfect for putting a soft flame into a bowl. I’m currently using regular disposable Bics most of the time and I always thought they made the best disposable lighter. The only thing I don’t like about the regular Bic is my tendency to knock the lighter into the rim of the bowl and occasionally get my index finger a little hot because if the way I hold it.

Now that I have made a very short story into a novella, I reveal what I bought. The Navpeak Mini Handy Candle Lighter. It looks similar to the Bic EZ reach but it is refillable. I got five of them for about the cost ($11) of four of the EZ Reach lighters. I don’t expect them to last long term, but if I can refill them a few times each I think I will be ahead of the game. I already had the butane, and they arrive full (or at least partially full). The have an adjustable flame, which I immediately turned down to the lowest setting. So far, so good. If anyone else was looking for cheap pipe lighters, this seems like it could be a good way to go. I will probably still try the Bic EZ reach to compare, because all of these lighters are pretty cheap.

I don’t work for anyone affiliated with any lighter company or any place selling lighters, but I thought I’d mention these lighters in case anyone else was looking for something similar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: AroEnglish

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
I have it both ways. I have two premium lighters, SD DuPont and Kiribi. Love them both. I have some Djeep ones in the drawer in the unlikely event that both of my other lighters are no functioning.