Peterson’s Chamber Coating - What A Mess!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I had the exact same experience with my new Peterson Rua! The bowl coating tastes horrible. I had to completely remove it with sandpaper and wipe the bowl to virgin briar. It is much better. Still tastes funky though. I may end up gifting the pipe to someone else.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
FWIW, I've heard from a reliable source that Gum Arabic is used to in the manufacture of flake tobacco in order to make it stick together better.

Funny I haven't heard people complaining about how awful flake tobacco tastes...

Reactions: PipeIT
FWIW, I've heard from a reliable source that Gum Arabic is used to in the manufacture of flake tobacco in order to make it stick together better.

Funny I haven't heard people complaining about how awful flake tobacco tastes...
Gum arabic has absolutely no taste. I have a big gallon jug of it that I use in all sorts of processes, and heated, burned, or a touch to the tongue, I can verify that it has absolutely NO taster, smell, nor flavor.

But, I have no idea what it has to do with the greasy, transparent stuff that was smeared in the bowl of my new Rua 106. This was like no other bowl coating that I've seen.
This is the one reason why I am not a fan of Petersons. I mean, I like some of the designs. And, the higher end Petes are really nice, really really nice. But, we can't have a civil conversation about Peterson with some wide-eyed fanatic either calling you a liar or stupid.
That being said, I do not hate Petersons. Why the hell would I buy them if I hated them. But, dammit, if one can't make a single criticism with being labeled a "hater" by a fanatic, WTF!

when their choices are questioned.
It wouldn't be my intention to question "their" choices. I really think there is so much "right" going on in this new Rua line. I think that having one criticism about the bowl coating isn't dashing any illusions or anything.

I should probably add that I'm not a fanatical "fan" of any pipe brand. Some from each maker appeals to me.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I have sandpapered several of the first purchases, and I'm not just talking about Peterson, now if I see the treated chamber I pass and look elsewhere.
Unfortunately, there are many restorers or repairers who use that method before releasing refurbished pipes, the most clever to hide flaws, regardless of using products suitable for the purpose.
If I'm not mistaken, years ago, it was common practice to carbonize with red-hot cylinders.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
In regards to my new Peterson I posted here;

The chamber coating for me turned out to be a mess the first time I smoked it. It greatly effected/altered the profile of C&D Carolina Red Flake as my first bowl, turned it more into a regular Virginia VaPer, that was extremely spicy, not at all like Red Flake tastes, also with odd background notes, which came from the chamber coating, like some floral charcoal.

I should of never tried smoking with this coating, because if the taste wasn’t bad enough, it turned everything, ash and some un burned leaf attached to the chamber like a glue, and it couldn’t simply be wiped out with a paper towel.

Not even the pick of my Czech tool could dig this mess out.

So after smoking, which ended up at 12am, I wasn’t about to leave this cement in my chamber any longer then I had to.

So I went at it for about 30 minutes with q-tips, paper towels with some 80 proof vodka.

I also let some vodka sit in the chamber for a few minutes, but when I tried to carefully dump it out a little got on the top of the finish, and the exterior of the bowl. So as a brave lad, remembering the words of @jpmcwjr talking the other day about water flushing, I dove right in cranked up the faucet pretty warm and started rinsing the outside and flushing the chamber.

Well it ends up, SPC tells me they’ve heard a lot of issues with these coatings, that Peterson is looking into doing something different.

Here’s my cleaned out chamber now, back to the drawing board, or is that the smoking board! LOL ?

I hope none of you find yourself in pipe madness in the wee hours of the morning.

View attachment 109069I had virtually the same experience about a year ago. It's ridiculous that they keep doing this. I did the flush as well and got rid of the bowl coat. Smoke like a champ now. Hope it all works out for you.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
All my Petes had this, and some other companies are doing it too. The link suggests it's a starting technique to keep it fresh as a coating by Peterson, but I don't care for it as it tastes like varnish and death for several bowls.

Consider it a "freshness seal".

I remove mine with hot water and several paper towels until it's gone and it pours out like paint. Not a fan of smoking paint. It's not paint, it's a protective coating but I hate it. I just hate it.

My method is after I thoroughly rinse it out, I let it sit overnight to dry and then re-coat it with bourbon or whiskey and let it soak into the briar until that's dry another day or two before my first bowl. I rub it in with my finger to get the sugars in there. It's just my method. I have pipes over 30 years old using this method still kicking strong. Sometimes I add a bit of honey too. Just my OWN coating. Sometimes I add a liquor like Grand Mariner. It depends on what the pipe is "dedicated" to. Cherry pipes I've used cherry schnapps. I've used Frangelico or Chambord. Depends. Works.

Reactions: romaso

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
All my Petes had this

I thought I mentioned this here. I’m aware of the Peterson coating, I contacted them last year to inquire about it. They told me, that in all their pipes that this coating, it is a wax mixture of gum arabic, charcoal and water.

Some people are bothered some are not, but SPC told me this year, that Peterson is looking to change it, that they are aware of the problems surrounding it.

The problem with this pipe, is that I decided to leave it in and smoke the pipe, then I let half a bowl sit overnight, big mistake, as the unburnt leaf and ash turned to cement on the chamber walls, which made it an even bigger pain to clean out, this being the reason I made this post.

Moral of the Story, if uncertain, clean it out before smoking, yes, a lot easier cleaning before than after.

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
In regards to my new Peterson I posted here;

The chamber coating for me turned out to be a mess the first time I smoked it. It greatly effected/altered the profile of C&D Carolina Red Flake as my first bowl, turned it more into a regular Virginia VaPer, that was extremely spicy, not at all like Red Flake tastes, also with odd background notes, which came from the chamber coating, like some floral charcoal.

I should of never tried smoking with this coating, because if the taste wasn’t bad enough, it turned everything, ash and some un burned leaf attached to the chamber like a glue, and it couldn’t simply be wiped out with a paper towel.

Not even the pick of my Czech tool could dig this mess out.

So after smoking, which ended up at 12am, I wasn’t about to leave this cement in my chamber any longer then I had to.

So I went at it for about 30 minutes with q-tips, paper towels with some 80 proof vodka.

I also let some vodka sit in the chamber for a few minutes, but when I tried to carefully dump it out a little got on the top of the finish, and the exterior of the bowl. So as a brave lad, remembering the words of @jpmcwjr talking the other day about water flushing, I dove right in cranked up the faucet pretty warm and started rinsing the outside and flushing the chamber.

Well it ends up, SPC tells me they’ve heard a lot of issues with these coatings, that Peterson is looking into doing something different.

Here’s my cleaned out chamber now, back to the drawing board, or is that the smoking board! LOL ?

I hope none of you find yourself in pipe madness in the wee hours of the morning.

View attachment 109069
I would have rolled up some 80 grit sand paper and had done in sixty seconds.