PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Title edited. Only important words capped, - jpm

Ordered a baritone uke for Christmas for my wife, which she specifically requested. Found what seems to be a really good online retailer located in Indiana, sweetwater.com. They have stringed instruments of wide variety, tuners, strings, instruction books and videos -- probably more than I can appreciate. Not long after I clicked in my order, one of their experts called me to review the order and offer any suggestions/help, followed by an email. I've never had that happen before. Looks like a good young business which understands customer relations. If you're in the market, check them out. I know there are some accomplished and experienced musicians on Forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 25, 2021
England
I like my Snail Uke.
Being someone who is determined to do things his own way, I put genuine gut strings on it, and tuned it the same as a violin.
I enjoy sitting down in the evenings with it, and just making up whatever comes into my head, or whatever my fingers feel like doing.
And maybe have a sing along as well. Good job my flat has thick walls haha.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, interesting. Many may not know the mandolin is tuned just the same as the violin, but with two strings tuned in pairs, for eight strings. The violin (viola, cello, and bass) each have four strings. The guitar usually six or twelve.

Reactions: JOHN72

About twenty years ago, I walked into Bob Tedrow's instrument store in Homewood, AL, just to look around, and walked out with my first ukulele. Bob Tedrow builds concertinas for people to ‘take care of and treasure’ - Alabama NewsCenter - https://rss.alabamanewscenter.com/2016/05/02/bob-tedrow-builds-concertinas-people-take-care-treasure/
This guy is world famous for building concertinas and any stringed instrument you could imagine. And, his shop is very surreal. You can walk around all of these handmade instruments and watch the luthiers while they work, meanwhile Bob is usually dressed like a Vaudevillian performer. Ask him anything about any of the instruments, and he can pick it up and performs something famous from the 1910's to 40's, like an animated character.

I took my wife and her fiddle in to get some work done on it, and next thing you know, they are performing a hysterical piece of improve. I have since spent thousands at his shop.

He has no online presence, except for his Facebook where he posts videos of himself performing. But, if you walk in, you walk out with something that you've learned and a huge smile.

My daughters have all taken lessons from him, and I still love to drop in to be entertained. But, I always seem to walk out with a much lighter wallet, ha ha.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I don’t want to think of how much I’ve spent with Sweetwater.
I’ve never had a problem with an order. Like you said, they seem to understand customer service

They were recently bought by a larger company. I hope they don’t “improve” things at Sweetwater.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I stopped using sweetwater because they will fucking cold call you to see if you wanna buy more shit and that constitutes harassment in my brain

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Ordered a baritone uke for Christmas for my wife, which she specifically requested. Found what seems to be a really good online retailer located in Indiana, sweetwater.com. They have stringed instruments of wide variety, tuners, strings, instruction books and videos -- probably more than I can appreciate. Not long after I clicked in my order, one of their experts called me to review the order and offer any suggestions/help, followed by an email. I've never had that happen before. Looks like a good young business which understands customer relations. If you're in the market, check them out. I know there are some accomplished and experienced musicians on Forums.
You will also receive a few pieces of hard candy inside the box when your order arrives. I've used Sweetwater for years. I just bought a new mixer for our church from them a couple of months ago.