PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
Hey Folks-

I'm not making the claim that they're not, merely asking the question. Does anyone have what they feel is a better way of tobacco storage other than Mason Jars?

Right now I have a variety of methods for storing my tobacco. Mason Jars, Screw-top plastic containers, and left in the tin in a very large Tupperware with humidification packs. So far I've found the screw-top plastic containers probably arent a great method. After about 6 months or so I'm finding that the tobacco stored in those is getting dryer and dryer.

Any storage tips would be welcomed.

Reactions: kcghost

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
Mason jars for me, but Mylar works too. Depends on your preference. As someone suggested above, do a search on "Mylar" on this site, and you will spend the rest of the night reading threads. LOL Definitely NOT plastic jars with screw lids (my opinion)
After 6 months of trying this, I think I concur with your opinion.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I use jars, but buy the dollar store ones, some say isn’t good, but they seem OK me.

I wonder if opening your jars occasionally to sniff the tobacco is bad for long term storage, I do that sometimes, whoops…

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
I use jars, but buy the dollar store ones, some say isn’t good, but they seem OK me.

I wonder if opening your jars occasionally to sniff the tobacco is bad for long term storage, I do that sometimes, whoops…
Not so much opening to sniff but I open them quite frequently as I smoke a large variety of my blends. It might be better if I were to pick a few and finish them out while leaving the others sealed.

Reactions: elvishrunes

billnc

Lurker
Jul 3, 2016
Mason jars are all I have ever used, interesting to hear about mylar as mason jars were hard to find a few months ago.

Reactions: DTXHobbit

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
I have been storing in Mason jars for a few years without any failures. Can say the same thing about Mylar bags as well. So far both storage methods work equally well, therefore it is about personal preference and availability.

Reactions: FurCoat
I just like jars, and liking them is easy when I already have a ton of them. But, I have been considering getting a vacuum sealer for storing my homegrown twists as they age for a few years before I chop them up and put them in jars. Plus, it would help us empty nesters break down large packs of steaks into two-sies for freezing.

But, as far as using them to cellar tobaccos... other people seem to be placing a lot of faith in them.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I have a number of mason jars taking up space. Nowhere to the extent that others here have, thats to be sure. I have moved to mylar bags. I will continue using this method. Jars are nice for a rotation, mylar is for storage.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Yes, well, it sure cuts down on any anaerobic activity that might be going on, and it will, each time a jar is opened, speed up the drying process.....unless the RH in the space is over 75%- unlikely except in Alabama in the Summer, with the a/c off.