PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You are missing the point amigo.
Everyone's tastes are different? yes or no?
IF yes, then your opinion matters relatively little with regards to someone else's taste. IF that person hasn't tried McClelland, then it should be up to them to decide whether it is super magical or not.
This is an exercise in putting yourself in someone else's shoes. I don't know how this isn't getting home to you
I think you've made your point. It is always, always up to the individual regardless of anyone else's opinion. If you have the dollars and are willing to to dig a bit to find it, you can buy all the mcclelland or anything else you wish regardless of what anyone says here or anywhere else. There were people who didn't care for mcclelland. There's people who think spring money on unicorns is silly. I loved the vinegar ketsup twang of McClelland Virginia and also think $100 for a 4 oz tin is not at all unreasonable right now. But it doesn't matter, my money, I'll do what I wish with it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bingo. In addition to not caring what blends people choose to buy, most of us who have this stuff in our cellars don’t care all that much about having them either.

The whole “I wouldn’t pay above retail for it” thing for the most part isn’t intended to be a “nah nah-nah nah-nah nah! I got the rare blend” brag at all. It’s more like “yeah it’s good, glad I got it while it was cheap.”

In other words, if you buy the good stuff that’s around today, down the road you too will have the unobtainium unicorns... and you probably won’t care all that much about them.

I have quite a few McClelland tins and haven’t touched one since probably last year, not because I’m saving them in particular, but because I’ve been smoking and enjoying other stuff. The McC’s will be fun to dig into over time, but if I had $100 to spend right now, I’d rather get 7 or 8 current tins than one FMC or Christmas Cheer.
I'm not in the most. I love mcclelland Virginias and am ecstatic about the cellar I have. Wish I had twice as much, I'd smoke two bowls per day. I also understand and accept it is not for everyone. Imagine that, different tastes among smokers?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm not in the most. I love mcclelland Virginias and am ecstatic about the cellar I have. Wish I had twice as much, I'd smoke two bowls per day. I also understand and accept it is not for everyone. Imagine that, different tastes among smokers?

I wish I had twenty times as much McClelland as I’ve got. I’d still be smoking Frog Morton Cellar a few times per week instead of more occasionally. That said, I’m equally happy with the blends I can readily order today. I just don’t want to those who started pipe smoking more recently to think they missed out too much because they didn’t.

I also agree with you that $100 for a 4 oz tin isn’t crazy at all in today’s environment if you really want a few McClelland tins. I’ve considered picking up a couple more FMC tins but end up choosing readily available stuff instead.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wish I had twenty times as much McClelland as I’ve got. I’d still be smoking Frog Morton Cellar a few times per week instead of more occasionally. That said, I’m equally happy with the blends I can readily order today. I just don’t want to those who started pipe smoking more recently to think they missed out too much because they didn’t.

I also agree with you that $100 for a 4 oz tin isn’t crazy at all in today’s environment if you really want a few McClelland tins. I’ve considered picking up a couple more FMC tins but end up choosing readily available stuff instead.
When I'm smoking FVF, BBF, CVP, Capstan Blue and Gold, and many others, tears aren't running down my face because it isn't Mcclelland. And I get your point and agree with it. You're most often extremely rational.

Reactions: rmpeeps and lawdawg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have negative tins of MC, Solani, Dunhill, Pease, etc. What I do have is 500g of DF Scented and Unscented.
You know, the important stuff. I'm good.

No way I'd pay $100 for a MC tin, or any other tin for that matter even if I were smoking.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
When I'm smoking FVF, BBF, CVP, Capstan Blue and Gold, and many others, tears aren't running down my face because it isn't Mcclelland. And I get your point and agree with it. You're most often extremely rational.
I sometimes tear up a little when I smoke an old favorite McClelland, but I'm definitely not crying when it isn't McClelland.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've probably got 15-20 tins of various stuff left. When McClelland closed down I had a quite a pile of tins in my cellar. A lot of them I sold off when the prices started to go crazy, and increased the previous quantity of McClelland tobacco in my cellar ten fold with other blends.

I liked McClelland blends well enough, but when they disappeared I moved on. But I do miss that I can't buy 2015 anymore. Down to my last 3.5 lbs...

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
185 tins, not counting what is in an opened tin or jarred. About a third are 100gm, the rest are 50gm. Plus somewhere between 15-17 lbs of 2030 bulk. Most of this was purchased before McClellageddon, although I did break down and buy a 5 lb bag of 2030 in the spring of 2018 (from Diebel's in KC which was the only place that I could find it) and I've purchased or traded for a few tins this year before what I wanted became even more impossible to find/afford.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I came into pipe smoking as McClelland's was coming to and end. I wasn't on forums or digging into what the "popular" connoisseur pipe blends were. I bought and struggled with 1Q, then Orlik Golden Sliced, HH ODF, and so on.

My poor technique and lack of experience made it hard to get off the ground with smoking Virginias, and I don't remember the reviews about McClelland stuff to be exactly glowing.

Needless to say I made little attempt to rush out and buy McClelland stuff. Mcclelland came and went.

I went from Aromatics, to latakia blends, to Virginias, to Orientals, to burley. My taste for DFK and Latakia dissolved. My love of Burley blossomed.

Fast forward and I have alot of experience, technique and a large variety of blends under my belt. My cellar is STACKED. Yet I still only have a couple tins of McClelland stuff. Why? It ain't money. Even second hand tobacco is cheap.

I never stopped for one second to pine for anything that wasn't around. Too much stuff to try, too much really good stuff.

As I tried new blends I found that what I actually liked, versus what I previously THOUGHT I would like, were very very different things.

I'm confident that those who whisper in the shadows of the messiah that was McClelland, the ones who weren't around when it was sitting on shelves, would be greatly served by just trying the stuff and quit barking about it already. Or better yet, just try blends in general.

The snappiness at those giving advice in the thread, which is very sound advice might I add, is telling of what the real situation is about.

There's no clear cut "#1" best pipe blend. The hubub about McClelland, post-closure, frustrates those who seek a fast-track to getting the "best" blends. Similar with Germain's.

I think this ties into people wanting to be seen as having the "best" of whatever it is. I've seen it with cigars, whiskey, guns, and yes, pipes stuff.

Remember, there's a guy out there who found out Velvet is his jam that's livin' life puffy

You'll find your pipe blend "home", @smokeymo, if you try. I'd bet with all the money and availability in the world, it probably isn't something McClelland, nor Esoterica, or Germain's, or a small batch. There's a good chance that there's a bulk blend out there that you love, probably more than any other, that you haven't tried yet.

But you'll have to put in the same time and money that everyone else in this thread has put in. Some for decades, and even then finding new favorites. Isn't that one of the fun things about this hobby?

Being that it's a public forum, those who had fond memories of blends long gone will continue to share their love with others. Get used it, it won't go away. Cherished blends will continue to come and go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I came into pipe smoking as McClelland's was coming to and end. I wasn't on forums or digging into what the "popular" connoisseur pipe blends were. I bought and struggled with 1Q, then Orlik Golden Sliced, HH ODF, and so on.

My poor technique and lack of experience made it hard to get off the ground with smoking Virginias, and I don't remember the reviews about McClelland stuff to be exactly glowing.

Needless to say I made little attempt to rush out and buy McClelland stuff. Mcclelland came and went.

I went from Aromatics, to latakia blends, to Virginias, to Orientals, to burley. My taste for DFK and Latakia dissolved. My love of Burley blossomed.

Fast forward and I have alot of experience, technique and a large variety of blends under my belt. My cellar is STACKED. Yet I still only have a couple tins of McClelland stuff. Why? It ain't money. Even second hand tobacco is cheap.

I never stopped for one second to pine for anything that wasn't around. Too much stuff to try, too much really good stuff.

As I tried new blends I found that what I actually liked, versus what I previously THOUGHT I would like, were very very different things.

I'm confident that those who whisper in the shadows of the messiah that was McClelland, the ones who weren't around when it was sitting on shelves, would be greatly served by just trying the stuff and quit barking about it already. Or better yet, just try blends in general.

The snappiness at those giving advice in the thread, which is very sound advice might I add, is telling of what the real situation is about.

There's no clear cut "#1" best pipe blend. The hubub about McClelland, post-closure, frustrates those who seek a fast-track to getting the "best" blends. Similar with Germain's.

I think this ties into people wanting to be seen as having the "best" of whatever it is. I've seen it with cigars, whiskey, guns, and yes, pipes stuff.

Remember, there's a guy out there who found out Velvet is his jam that's livin' life puffy

You'll find your pipe blend "home", @smokeymo, if you try. I'd bet with all the money and availability in the world, it probably isn't something McClelland, nor Esoterica, or Germain's, or a small batch. There's a good chance that there's a bulk blend out there that you love, probably more than any other, that you haven't tried yet.

But you'll have to put in the same time and money that everyone else in this thread has put in. Some for decades, and even then finding new favorites. Isn't that one of the fun things about this hobby?

Being that it's a public forum, those who had fond memories of blends long gone will continue to share their love with others. Get used it, it won't go away. Cherished blends will continue to come and go.
And I've found something as simple as Sutliff TS24 to be what I've looked for for decades. Wished I knew about it years ago.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I send my dick to the cellar when he is being pretentious.

I have smoked my few tins of Mcclellands at the same pace as when they were available, I think I have a couple of frogs left, and some dark star...maybe one last tin from the oriental range, oh and a 3 oaks vintage syrian! The one thing I am really trying to stretch out is that bulk turkish ribbon, I have 80% of a pound left I think and I just LOVE it.

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
I've got one tin of 2009 Christmas Cheer, and it's the only McClelland I plan on buying especially with prices now. Eventually I'll break into it on a rainy day and get to see what all the hype was about, but I think that day is still a few years down the line.