PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
I just had a thought. I’m in Canada and we now have horrendous tobacco tins. They’ve switched to an extreme plain label because it’s supposed to make people not want to smoke anymore. It’s illogical, but I think one unintentional consequence is that people will pay more attention to the quality of the tobacco rather than a pretty tin. I still miss a beautifully designed tin and that got me thinking. If the companies sold stickers that fit over top of the existing tins I would slap those on top after purchase. Has anyone heard of a company doing this before or do you have another solution?

Names and labels have the power of suggestion. Heck for a long time they sold a cherry aromatic to full grown men by calling it Hobbit's Weed. LOTR fans lined up, even guys who would never have bought an aromatic.
That stuff they've been calling Three Nuns... Escudo... sometimes the label and the name are more important than what is on the inside of the tin.

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
I just had a thought. I’m in Canada and we now have horrendous tobacco tins. They’ve switched to an extreme plain label because it’s supposed to make people not want to smoke anymore. It’s illogical, but I think one unintentional consequence is that people will pay more attention to the quality of the tobacco rather than a pretty tin. I still miss a beautifully designed tin and that got me thinking. If the companies sold stickers that fit over top of the existing tins I would slap those on top after purchase. Has anyone heard of a company doing this before or do you have another solution?
It is really strange to hear that, because as usually in Europe and Russia it is terrible pictures on the tins/packs with pictures of people dying from cancer and other horrible diseases. In my country they content oneself with the since like smoking kills. But as i can understand tins in Canada just nondescript look... or I'm understanding wrong. Can you please attach a photo.

• Wow
Reactions: HopHand

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Names and labels have the power of suggestion. Heck for a long time they sold a cherry aromatic to full grown men by calling it Hobbit's Weed. LOTR fans lined up, even guys who would never have bought an aromatic.
That stuff they've been calling Three Nuns... Escudo... sometimes the label and the name are more important than what is on the inside of the tin.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
It is really strange to hear that, because as usually in Europe and Russia it is terrible pictures on the tins/packs with pictures of people dying from cancer and other horrible diseases. In my country they content oneself with the since like smoking kills. But as i can understand tins in Canada just nondescript look... or I'm understanding wrong. Can you please attach a photo.
You see packages with people dying and stuff like that in Canada too but most pipe tobacco packaging looks like this. My thought is if I could print a proper label with what the producer intended it would at least look nicer and be more easy to identify in my cellar. I think they purposefully use that tin colour and font to make the tins unappealing and hard to read from behind a counter. I’ve seen B&Ms have a book that shows the brands with the tobacco descriptions to make selection easier in store.

Attachments

• B1CBE32B-CDE0-466E-BA48-B32660AC63F0.jpeg
    B1CBE32B-CDE0-466E-BA48-B32660AC63F0.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: kcghost

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like tin art too. The "warning labels" are in truth intended simply to harass smokers, not warn smokers.

We all know that smoking carries certain risks. We are all adults, and I would venture to guess your average pipe smoker possesses an IQ significantly above the average. We already know about tobacco. We all know that "this substance contains nicotine, an addictive chemical" and so on. There's not a single adult in the Western world who is unaware that tobacco has been linked to cancer.

Rant over, thank you for reading puffy

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
You see packages with people dying and stuff like that in Canada too but most pipe tobacco packaging looks like this. My thought is if I could print a proper label with what the producer intended it would at least look nicer and be more easy to identify in my cellar. I think they purposefully use that tin colour and font to make the tins unappealing and hard to read from behind a counter. I’ve seen B&Ms have a book that shows the brands with the tobacco descriptions to make selection easier in store.
You know, it is still not bad, anyway, you know what it is)

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Actually it is some political move, you newer see that on the can of coce written that you can get diabetes, do not drink or on the beacon, don't eat, you can get hard attack... so my opinion, it is some like a double standards, to show that society is fighting with smoking. Actually this strategy just for protection of tobacco lobby. And insurance business.

I wish we had more of the ones with the decayed teeth of lung cancers. We should embrace these. Reverse psych on them. "Give me two packs of mouth cancer and some matches." We should get bumper stickers and tshirts to inflict these images on everyone, and then quickly they'd go away. But, me, I'd keep wearing them as a reminder... "hold my beer..."
warning.jpg

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
I wish we had more of the ones with the decayed teeth of lung cancers. We should embrace these. Reverse psych on them. "Give me two packs of mouth cancer and some matches." We should get bumper stickers and tshirts to inflict these images on everyone, and then quickly they'd go away. But, me, I'd keep wearing them as a reminder... "hold my beer..."
View attachment 103775
you know it does like a heavy metal band t-shirt