Jim's Carolina Red Flake With Perique 2021 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The stoved and unstoved 2020 red, orange, and floral lemon Virginias are the lead components. I notice the orange and lemon a little more than I do the red by taste even though the stoving changes the colors of the varietals to some extent. They offer a wealth of very zesty, fermented tart and tangy citrus, floralness, bread, a fair amount of grass and earth, some tangy stewed dark fruit, wood, vegetation, sugar, and mild spice with light acidic, sour lemon, and port wine notes. The Saint James perique provides plenty of earth, wood, sugary stewed plum, figs, pepper, and a touch of raisins. By design, the perique plays an important secondary support role rather than giving full support, which is an observation, and not a complaint. The strength and nicotine levels are medium. The taste is a step past that due to the floralness. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. As there is no topping, there are a few typically expected small rough edges. The flakes are mildly moist and easily broken apart. I saw no need to dry the tobacco. Well balanced and nuanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a very consistent moderately sweet, peppery, floral, and rugged flavor with a sour undertone. Has a mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires a few more than an average number of relights. Despite its rich depth, it can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Should age exceptionally well. Three and a half stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The stoved and unstoved 2020 red, orange, and floral lemon Virginias are the lead components. I notice the orange and lemon a little more than I do the red by taste even though the stoving changes the colors of the varietals to some extent. They offer a wealth of very zesty, fermented tart and tangy citrus, floralness, bread, a fair amount of grass and earth, some tangy stewed dark fruit, wood, vegetation, sugar, and mild spice with light acidic, sour lemon, and port wine notes. The Saint James perique provides plenty of earth, wood, sugary stewed plum, figs, pepper, and a touch of raisins. By design, the perique plays an important secondary support role rather than giving full support, which is an observation, and not a complaint. The strength and nicotine levels are medium. The taste is a step past that due to the floralness. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. As there is no topping, there are a few typically expected small rough edges. The flakes are mildly moist and easily broken apart. I saw no need to dry the tobacco. Well balanced and nuanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a very consistent moderately sweet, peppery, floral, and rugged flavor with a sour undertone. Has a mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires a few more than an average number of relights. Despite its rich depth, it can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Should age exceptionally well. Three and a half stars.
Do you always break your flakes apart or do you fold and stuff as well?