PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I usually look for estates. I generally get the same pipe for half price.

I much prefer brand new. I've restored maybe 8 estates before, and then I don't smoke them. It's gross to me. Plus I like the idea of making the scratches and dings myself. Starting from new.

You must never eat at restaurants then! All those reused plates, glasses and silverware!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Far away from the bustle of the city, deep inside flyover country, where nobody can remember their street or road, but still give directions based on the locations of so and so’s house or a business,,,,

There are no pipe shops.

Hardly anyone smokes a pipe, but when we do we can smoke it just about everywhere we go.

If I try smoking anything other than a traditional “Dad” pipe in public it looks like I’m putting on airs.

If I seriously collected expensive pipes, I’d buy brand new ones. I do occasionally buy a brand new pipe.

But where fantastic bargains can be had in used (estate) pipes are the best grades of 70 to 90 year old factory American production pipes.

$24.50 Weber Golden Walnut (Old Briar) Prince on eBay with walnut pipe stand.

$10 junk (antique) shop Weber Golden Walnut Bulldog (Weber logo)

019BFB53-322B-4353-A549-90AC87989343.jpegFD3FCF9D-303C-4990-8CC6-76016145933D.jpeg8B1A13FD-2803-4CAB-A6A5-E1CB57ED1702.jpeg6A720570-486B-40EC-A50B-BB46646A5340.jpeg04CDB730-327C-4082-A336-73FF15D346A0.jpegThe Weber Golden Walnut was the $5.98 response to Kaywoodie’s $5 Super Grain in the late 1930’s.

The classic American factory pipe was smaller, than the pipes that sell new today.

But they fit in a pocket, and were made to complement a man wearing a suit and tie.

For an everyday walk around smoker, they are still a great choice.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipe keys aren't just for clays. They're very handy for clearing blockages in estates.View attachment 102809
I tried that and not sure how the mofo got it stuck like that. Too the credit of seller (smoking pipes .com) they sorted it right out with grace and quickness. Even though they could have easily said too bad you waited too long. They sent me the blockage back in a little ziploc baggie the kind that you only see with jewelry and illegal stuffs. I think the person was trying to see if it would pass a cleaner and didn't have the skills to do the twist slightly as pushing near the bend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
so basically the answer is..... Like many things in life it's very personal. If it feels worth it it is. If not it isn't. And lots and lots of little factors.
Frankly I only have two estates out of ten pipes total. And both those estates are unsmoked. I only ever really even think about real estates (smoked) when it's a really special pipe. Otherwise I get hung up on the silliness of it being someone elses pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
As long as the plates don't have tooth marks and smell like a dead lady's perfume I'm good.
yeah it's not the same thing. A pipe is a much more intimate thing then shared tableware that is blasted clean and sanitized with heat and detergents regularly. Oh and if someone wanted to make a legit comparison they'd say oh you must not buy silverware from a yard sale.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A third or fewer of my pipes were new, the rest were estate pipes. My two favorite pipes are estate Savinelli and smoke better than the one new Savinelli that I had purchased. All of my estate pipes smoke super well and were great purchases relative to the price of the same pipes new. I have not been disappointed with estate pipes so far.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have only one estate pipe, a Stanwell 124 apple/Lovat shape designed by Sixten Ivarrson. I saw one in a video and wanted to have an original version, not the new revival of the shape. I ended up finding an estate one on a German website that didn’t ship to Australia. I had it shipped to my parents in the Netherlands instead, who shipped it out to me. The pipe is still one of my old faithful favourite pipes. It smokes great regardless of what tobacco I put in it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
My Castellos and Dunhills are estates, due to the price differential.

I have not bought a new Stanwell since they moved production out of Denmark and that was years ago.

Reactions: Briar Lee