PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I on the verge on buying a pipe. I'm considering a estate, but they have the same pipe new for 38 bucks more... Would you still consider the estate against paying 40 bucks more for a new pipe? When do you consider the estate above the new pipe?

Shoot.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Depends on the pipe, but I would probably go new.

The bonus of a good estate, is maybe someone has taken the time to break it in and get it smoking well and saving you that time/effort.

The downside is it comes and hasn't been broken in properly, or has been abused in some way, or God Forbid has had a go with the devil's cabbage.

I have found that some estates go for a bit more than I want to pay. People are thinking they can get almost new prices for some artisan's work. I don't operate that way. Clearly some do, as the pipes do sell, but not for me.

Good luck on your decision.

There are a few pipes that I shop for that list almost the same new as used. I just buy new in those instances. To me, the seller is shooting themself in the foot by doing that. $38-50 difference means nothing to me. In some cases, it is way worth it not to have to deal with whatever aromatic ghosts the person who had the pipe before me enjoyed. YMMV

I think most brands that this happens in are usually the very collectible pipes, where demand may be higher for the old verses the new. Stanwells come to mind, because the new ones made in Italy are lackluster, IMO, and the older ones were designed and made by the GIANTS of the pipe industry.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Estate is a 25% discount to the new one.
So we are talking about a $160 pipe for $120? Depending on shipping costs and conditions, but if both looked pristine I'd probably take a swing at the estate. I guess it also depends on what $40 means to you, from a socio-economic standpoint.

Really at that point condition would be what I'd be scrutinizing the most.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's kinda difficult to buy a Barling made in the 1880's that's new. You'd think otherwise, but the world just isn't fair.

Since most of my pipes are ancient Britwood, estate is the way to go. But even with contemporary pipes, if I can get a good example that I like for 50% of new, I'll go for it. Hey, recycling is important and I'm doing my bit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can say that even an unsmoked estate can have an issue. I got one and it was a pretty steep discount and I love the pipe but I almost threw it away because some idiot who didn't smoke it got a bit of pipe cleaner stuck in the stem. That meant the thing clogged up after almost zero amount of smoking. I don't know how they pulled that off either.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My stable is about 65%new and 35% estate at present. At other times closer to 50/50 and sometimes slightly higher in estates. Depends on the maker and the pipe. If a particular estate calls to you and if it is from a reputable dealer (SP, Pipestud, Marty, Mkelaw, Blue Room and others) I wouldn't hesitate to buy. I don't buy from Ebay and don't buy at yard sales or antique stores. Just personal preference as I want an estate pipe that has been professionally sanitized and restored.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's no set answer here. How's the quality on the new product versus the old? How's the wear on the estate version? Can you inspect the pipes in person nor not? I'd say focus on the pipe first, whether it is new or used. Compare the version you first see with the alternative item new or used. It's a pipe by pipe decision, not one subject to guidelines. If the pipe is available from a reputable retailer versus someone unknown, whether it is new or used, I think it might be worth $20 or $30 to go with a good reputation. Beginners with estate pipes ought to start with smokingpipes.com because they give a clear accurate description of their estate pipes complete with flaws; you'll pay a little more, but it is probably worth it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Like quite a few members I love old BritWood and estates are the only way you'll find them. Likewise pipes from makers who have retired or gone to the big smoko in the sky.

If an estate pops up and it's 50% of the new price, it's a no brainer - so long as it's in a good condition.

If it's beat up or has a serious issue, or if the estate price is less <20% of the new price then it's a no go.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I can say that even an unsmoked estate can have an issue. I got one and it was a pretty steep discount and I love the pipe but I almost threw it away because some idiot who didn't smoke it got a bit of pipe cleaner stuck in the stem. That meant the thing clogged up after almost zero amount of smoking. I don't know how they pulled that off either.
Pipe keys aren't just for clays. They're very handy for clearing blockages in estates.IMG_20211004_213143_0~2.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I on the verge on buying a pipe. I'm considering a estate, but they have the same pipe new for 38 bucks more... Would you still consider the estate against paying 40 bucks more for a new pipe? When do you consider the estate above the new pipe?

Shoot.
If it's in good shape and doesn't look like its been used hard, I'd get the estate and spend the money saved on tobacco or whatever else you fancy.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Sablebrush and SSJones have added important nuances to the OP's question. Estates are terrific for older brands or brands who have experienced former glory years. One of the foci of my collection are Dunhills and Barlings. Dunhills are cheaper AND better to buy from estate than new. (I'm looking at pre-1968s.) And as Sablebrush mentioned, most people's local B&M don't have new 1890 Barlings lying around.

I appreciate why many would be grossed out by an estate pipe, and that's where SS Jones came in well. There are reputable people who restore (and clean) pipes. I grew up in San Francisco and was fortunate enough to work at Sherlock's Haven, proprietor Marty Pulvers. Now retired, he still sells fantastic estates on Pulver Prior Briar. Since I know him, I know I'm getting a sanitized, good pipe. (Check out Marty's website; he's also rather candid about the pipes he's selling, if not too honest, at times.)

I have no worries buying an pipe from Marty (as my pipe racks indicate), nor should you. While I think there are better deals to be had at sites like Marty's and Mike Law Pipes, sp.com and pipes and cigars and others all do the standard sanitizing and restoration. If you're still nervous, do your own research, but estates are the best way to get bang for your buck. Good luck.