PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I think associating a small batch with a season or holiday is a winning marketing strategy. Even if smokers ordinarily wouldn't jam their cart full of it I can see many topping off their normal order with a tin or two out of curiosity.

I'm not an aromatic smoker at all, but every year the C&D Christmas aromatics come out I'm tempted to buy a tin or two just for the nostalgia of it. If the same blends came out during a different time of year under a different name I wouldn't even be tempted.

That said, I am a bit surprised at how quickly the tins sold out especially considering how long last week's C&D small batch lingered around.

With regards to Warped, I'm increasingly intrigued by this line and have grabbed a tin or two of everything that has dropped thus far. I hope they continue to work with Jeremy to release more and more unique blends.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What surprised me the most about it were how many "not for me's" there were across several forums and it still sold out in under a day.
Had they put out 10,000 tins, I think it would have been on the shelves for awhile. When you consider there are people that have accounts set up for their wife, brother, neighbor, etc., and buy 2 to 4 x the limit, 2,500 isn't that much at all. I'm guessing Warped was either afraid or lacked the financial wherewithal to go with a larger release.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
What surprised me the most about it were how many "not for me's" there were across several forums and it still sold out in under a day.
If pipe smoking was driven entirely by those smokers that posted regularly on public forums, pipe smoking would really be an endangered activity. Don't misunderstand me, pipe smoking is a very rare and niche past time, but pipe smokers who regularly post on forums such as this one are a unique subset, and certainly do not represent the majority of those who partake in the hobby. If every pipe tobacco producer and pipe maker were relying solely on the number of customers who post on forums, the industry simply could not exist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The majority of the customer base are aromatic smokers, like well over 90%, whereas the majority of Forums members seem to prefer non-aromatics, even if they smoke both. I suspect that forums members are somewhat better informed, but they do not drive the market, it seems.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If pipe smoking was driven entirely by those smokers that posted regularly on public forums, pipe smoking would really be an endangered activity.
Already knew that one being a pipe smoker prior to the internet. It's why I tell members to be careful about tobacco drops and pipes they intend to purchase as there are more eyes than forum members here. My post was facetious as there are many more that enjoy aromatics than will admit. Had there been no limit on Scarecrow, I would've purchased 20 tins instead of the 10 that I did.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Had they put out 10,000 tins, I think it would have been on the shelves for awhile. When you consider there are people that have accounts set up for their wife, brother, neighbor, etc., and buy 2 to 4 x the limit, 2,500 isn't that much at all. I'm guessing Warped was either afraid or lacked the financial wherewithal to go with a larger release.
I think the last few Carolina Red Flake runs were up around 10,000 tins, and that was gone within a day or two...

AS for people ordering off multiple accounts, etc., well, there are opportunists everywhere.

As for the 2500 tin run, perhaps the time and production schedule window to make that happen was limited. C&D is cranking out a lot of different products, and all those products compete for production time.

SP processes 1000's of orders a day. It's not unreasonable to see 250 orders for 10 tins of something in a 12 hour period.

At least that's my take.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
If pipe smoking was driven entirely by those smokers that posted regularly on public forums, pipe smoking would really be an endangered activity. Don't misunderstand me, pipe smoking is a very rare and niche past time, but pipe smokers who regularly post on forums such as this one are a unique subset, and certainly do not represent the majority of those who partake in the hobby. If every pipe tobacco producer and pipe maker were relying solely on the number of customers who post on forums, the industry simply could not exist.

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    216 KB · Views: 11
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I never would have thought of that ordering scam.

People are scandalous and never cease to amaze me.

This is one of many reasons why we can't have nice things.