PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have the Butera version of Dark Star which is called Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. I cube cut it into very small cubes and then let it dry for around 3-4 hours. I also use one of my thick walled flake pipes.
I never thought there would be a flake more finicky than Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake but this MC stuff beats it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks for all the replies. It is nice to know I am not the only one having difficulty keeping this stuff alight. I do like the flavour, but yes 'chore' is not really the vibe I am looking for in a smoke!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Cube cut and dry is the only thing I found that worked at all. The blend was a PITA and not worth it to me considering all the other great McClelland Virginia blends.

I agree. I’ve gotten it to burn OK, but it’s probably my least favorite of the McClelland blends I’ve tried. It’s good, but very mild and a little bit boring

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
Just rub out some to an almost fine powder and put it on top. Never had an issue with it and it's one of my favorites that I savor once a week.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The sample I got from one of you in a ziplock stayed in that bag for about a year.

It was just shy of mummy dust when I started in on it.

Still a slow start to the bowl. Interesting stuff, though.

1632778630179.jpeg

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
I imported my only tin of it waaayyy too early in my piping career. God I tried to get it to burn and foolishly gave up (either gave it away or chucked it).

Since been gifted the McC bulk navy flake (2035 was it?), which to me at least has the same fire retardant consistency

...and it now has its own dedicated pipe its so good.

Reactions: cornedbeef

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
It is a spectacular blend once you figure out how to get it to burn. It is not impossible, just takes some practice and patience.

Reactions: greenmtnsmoke

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Maybe it's something in their casing, then. Or maybe I'm being over paranoid.

Either way, many of my blends are "over dried" by many people's standards when I smoke them.

1632922785529.jpeg

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Metal walled pipe and a torch?

I have some of the butera version waiting for the right day. I remember wasting a whole tin of dark star and getting only one or two good bowls. I dried it til it got hard, but it didn't really peel apart either. I'll definitely try the cube cut

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
I just did it.
Fold the flake a few times and hold in left hand.
Take right hand index finger and thumb and pinch as small a piece off as you can with your thumbnail.
Keep between fingers and rub, rub, rub
Repeat to sprinkle on top or enough to fill bowl.
Drying not really necessary ?