SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I know that double negatives are bad grammar but what about triple negatives? I heard a lady yesterday say "I didn't not do nothing", or I think that's what she said, in my mind I counted 3 negatives. If that was the case is it proper usage?

Reactions: JOHN72

Jan 27, 2020
Ha ha, well, you can if you want.
But, I always suggest to those getting interviewed, if you want to know if a place is somewhere you'd want to work, fart during the interview, let their reactions be your guide.

I have on occasion, ended my interview with a tap dance routine, just so I can demonstrate that I have additional skills even if it doesn't directly apply to the position.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Brother I grew up in Mississippi. Terms like Don't got none and many more is be what it is. You've got the reckneck slag and ghetto fabulous slag and alot of times they can be the same lol don't even get me started on that rap Mumble talk that sounds like you're having a freaking seizure. Very interesting and funny when I go back home and especially driving through Da hood. I remember when I have a built up 1980 Z28 Camaro. Had to stop and get some gas in a not so great area. Within 10 seconds I had 3 guys run up and ask "do it got a tree fiddy in that b!tch?" I'd laugh and say "nah man it's a 4 cylinder" lol

Jan 27, 2020
Brother I grew up in Mississippi. Terms like Don't got none and many more is be what it is. You've got the reckneck slag and ghetto fabulous slag and alot of times they can be the same lol don't even get me started on that rap Mumble talk that sounds like you're having a freaking seizure. Very interesting and funny when I go back home and especially driving through Da hood. I remember when I have a built up 1980 Z28 Camaro. Had to stop and get some gas in a not so great area. Within 10 seconds I had 3 guys run up and ask "do it got a tree fiddy in that b!tch?" I'd laugh and say "nah man it's a 4 cylinder" lol

Funny. My example is somewhat related to cars. I was at a beach in Queens, which I overheard the above exchange between a couple. I told my girlfriend these two yutes (well, not really youths but...) must be from Bay Ridge Brooklyn or Staten Island, they looked the part had the attitude and were listening to some 90s house or techno music. When we left parked nearby was a 90s Cadillac Eldorado with custom rims, etc., no doubt belonging to them.

• Haha
Reactions: That Guy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Is it possible, in this instance, that three negatives equal a positive?

It's a good enough argument to take to court. Now we're boiling it down to the age-old legal argument between actual textual content vs. intent of the writer. This could make an excellent lesson in law school for the fundamental distinction between "strict textualism" and "legislative intent" legal interpretation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a linguist at North Carolina State U. who makes a strong case that a lot of regional language dialects, including double (and more than double) negatives, are distinct language systems that have their own rules. But once you learn them, you know exactly what the people are saying. So in terms of standard English, they are incorrect, but for human communication within their communities they are exacting and precise as any. You can squabble about this; some groups are more effectively communicative than others. But the basic point, I think, is sound. He does great presentations with videos including speech by Outer Banks residents who are said to still have the marks of Elizabethan English in their speech, as well as various rural and/or minority communities. For those who take pride in their cultivated standard English, this may be annoying, but there is truth in it.