PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I am on a quest! A quest to find the perfect blends for my tobacco rotation. Unfortunately for my wallet I feel compelled to try out as many blends as I can afford in pursuit of this noble cause. I said in my Haunted Bookshop review the other day that I had also purchased a tin of Windjammer to try out. I have heard some good things about it, so when grabbing the tin of the shelf I wondered if perhaps Windjammer was the VaPer for me... IT IS!

Getting into the review now, the tin note is fantastic. Upon opening the tin I caught the scent of raisins and dates along with some other underlying sweetness. I also got light hints of grass and this might sound strange, but I thought I could smell wheat bread. In any case it smelled very inviting to me. The tobacco was at what I consider to be the perfect level of moisture, so no dry time needed with this one. I packed a bowl in one of my cobs and stepped outside to smoke. I was lucky that the monsoon here in Arizona in full swing, so it wasn't 115 degrees outside. However, I was unlucky because the wind was blowing like crazy. Made getting my bowl lit a small challenge. Once I had it going the first thing I really tasted was nutty, earthiness, but that soon changed. With every sip the flavors began to evolve. I would taste hints of hay, bread, dark fruit, pepper, lemon zest, wood, sweetness, and of course the rum topping which comes through quite well. All of the different flavors would fade in and out at different times. When I retrohaled I got a blast of sweetness and pepper in one go, and the black cavendish made the smoke silky smooth. It did burn a bit fast I thought. I got through the whole bowl in 45 minutes. Nicotine was somewhere in between light-medium for me. I didn't feel the nic like I did with haunted bookshop.

Overall I found this blend to be REALLY good. Id say its the best VaPer that I have smoked up to this point. If you haven't tried it I would highly recommend giving this one a shot. You more then likely wont love it as much as me, but you will at the very least find it to be a pleasant smoke. Hats off to Mr. Gregory L. Pease for concocting this masterpiece. I have already ordered two more tins online. Admittedly, this was my first G.L. Pease blend, but I also got some Maltese Falcon to try out.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I am also a big fan of this 1. Smoked 3, have 10 unopened tins on the shelf. If you like things with smells/tastes of baked goods like raisin bread etc. have a go at Mad Fiddler Flake. For me this was a true tastes like the tin note kind of experience. Feels moist from the tin but seems to produce the best experience for me without drying. Kind of rare, but doing what works is more important than what should work...

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've got about 20 tins of this stashed, and will continue adding to it 10 at a time every time GL Pease is on sale. One of my absolute favorites. I just popped a tin from the initial release and even with 6 months on it it's a little deeper and richer. There's a wine-like flavor and complexity to it that I really enjoy.

PiperCubAK

Lurker
Jan 19, 2021
I've been trying to get along with this blend but unfortunately I just haven't been able to. I'll get one or two good smokes here and there where I really start getting good flavors but then I'll go a dozen smokes and it's either too cool and doesn't really give pronounced flavors or it's too hot and tongue bite city. Can't find that sweet spot.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've been trying to get along with this blend but unfortunately I just haven't been able to. I'll get one or two good smokes here and there where I really start getting good flavors but then I'll go a dozen smokes and it's either too cool and doesn't really give pronounced flavors or it's too hot and tongue bite city. Can't find that sweet spot.
I find a lot of the best of the best tobaccos are more temperamental then others. Not hard and fast. But a lot of the really great ones are like that. For me that means a lot of the best ones are reserved for when I can focus on them the most.