PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Hello, what is the opinion of those colored meerschaums? I bought one that is blue but had someone tell me the chemicals in the paint are harmful? The paint is not applied in the chamber or inside the shank. I can detect no smell of chemicals. I mainly bought it to look at but was curious. I actually see other sellers of meerschaum advertising they don't use unhealthy chemicals as a selling point. The way the coating looks it almost looks like food dye cause you can sew the meerschaum through the dye or paint.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Pretty but, not the pipe I was referring to. I've seen plenty of decorated meers but, never one entirely painted. I guess your pipe was made for the less than discerning meerschaum smoker. rotf
Yes but these pipes are built as well as any of my other high quality meer pipes. I'd it's just food dye that wouldn't effect much I wouldn't think.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
So, does it turn green as it absorbs the yellowish tars and oils? Or, does it just get browner? I'd be curious as to how it pairs with that bright blue stem after a few years of smoking. Or, does the blue just fade away as the coloring takes over? Could be lovely.
They got me half scared to smoke it now lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope not lined. It's a great look! But, pressed maybe. I just have a tough time believing such a paint job on pipe meant to suck up the lees and color being given such a coloring. Wish I could live another twenty years and see what it looks like after a couple thousand bowls.
It's just stain added to the wax. IMP doesn't use pressed.