PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you, I do have some Everclear on hand. What is your technique? Hahaha! don't consume the gallon!
I block the shank with an alcohol-soaked cleaner, then stuff the bowl with cotton balls and carefully fill with alcohol. You don't want to get any on the outside of the bowl as that could affect the stain.

Typically leave for 24 hours, then clean thoroughly with paper towels. If not 100% satisfied, then repeat the alcohol soak. The bowl coating used in newer Petes just wipes off easily with this method.

Reactions: eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I block the shank with an alcohol-soaked cleaner, then stuff the bowl with cotton balls and carefully fill with alcohol. You don't want to get any on the outside of the bowl as that could affect the stain.

Typically leave for 24 hours, then clean thoroughly with paper towels. If not 100% satisfied, then repeat the alcohol soak. The bowl coating used in newer Petes just wipes off easily with this method.
Thank you so much!

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Noticed it when I got all 4 of my 320s early on, but like @chasingembers said, hit it with some lat.
Worked for me, now they are all in my top 10 favourite pipes.
The Sav bowl coatings is one of the most offensive I've found in terms of obvious taste. They seem to like to force their customers into buying more expensive pipes to get away from the coating.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Even Giubileo d'Oros can have chamber coatings.

View attachment 99007
That's sad,
But the Punto Oro doesn't seem to on most, and the Giubileo d'Oros seem to be a 50/50 if they are coated or not. Are they trying to hide flaws in the bowl maybe?
The Collection series seems to be hit and miss as well, are they coating the Autograph series now?
002-033-60999_2.2945.jpeg
It's unfortunate but not a deal breaker for me, just means I end using them for English/Balkan blends. Savinelli still makes a great pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: eljimmy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is only one thing you need to do which is sand as much of the coating you can. Then you have to suck it up and smoke as many bowls as needed before the taste of the coating is totally gone. Anything else is really not needed in my opinion.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yeah I was in the middle of adjusting my post when you replied LOL. I was double screening the Sav page on SP and noticed that, and tried to correct before you replied. You are too quick to keep up with bud, i'm gonna have to up my game.

I still find it a tad bit peculiar that they do this with the same make and model pipe.

Reactions: Chasing Embers