How Many Blends Do You Have Open at One Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

My tobacco cabinet is starting to look like a candy store. I currently have 35 different jars I pull from and I enjoy some of everything. I told myself I was going to only have 10 open jars and not open up anything new until they were empty and clearly that didn't work. IMG_20210920_163232625.jpgIMG_20210920_163252270.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am so thankful most of my favorites came in tins only. I can keep 20-30 tins open at any give time and they never dry out. I store my tins in Tupperware type plastic containers that will keep a tin fresh for 1-2 years. A pack of 4 different sizes was only like 6 bucks.

In the pic below, the opaque container with the white top is what I am talking about.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I keep 12 blends in my active rotation. At an avg of 2 bowls a day, I’m smoking through a tin’s worth every 8-12 days. Once I finish a tin, I pull something new from the cellar to take its place. Been on this rotation for a few years now. For me it’s a great combination of smoking a blend frequently enough to get to know it well, with enough choices to meet my mood and still the fun of opening a new tin every other week. If I’m really after a particular blend, I just open it The rotation serves me, I don’t serve the rotation.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'm glad to have seen this thread, since it allows me the opportunity to look back at memory lane, and become somewhat amused. Why, you ask? Because I started out as a one-tin-at-a-time guy. Yeah, one pipe, one tin...I could have given lectures at PAD/TAD support groups for a living--I consider it a missed opportunity. Oh well, certainly not the first, and probably not the last, if history is any gauge. But I digress. A year and change ago, I impulsively bought an insta-cellar off of Craigslist. To this day, I'm not sure why (perhaps I'm not as inherently immune to TAD as I claim to be), but suffice to say, it was a complete 180 from my previous modality. Over the next year plus, I've added and removed as my tastes rounded out (I only started smoking a pipe in March 2019), and as it stands right now (and I can't believe I'm really saying this), barring another miracle score of Drew Estate tins, I'm actually perfectly content with what I have. Which brings me off this long-winded diatribe and back to what the OP asked in the first place.

I have about 50 jarred blends, perhaps a dozen in active rotation at any given time. My tastes change with the seasons, but there's almost nothing I don't like to smoke when the time and weather are right. In addition to that, I have about 30 unopened tins, most of which I have no plans of cracking into any time soon. Like @scloyd said, I'm working on whittling things down a little bit before I even think about breaking into any tin. Lastly, I received about 30 samples from a fellow forum member, 20 of which I still have yet to try. I smoke anywhere from 0-3 bowls per week, so you might say I'm living life in the slow lane. Or, as George Carlin once said, I don't live life in the fast lane, but do you ever see one of those cars parked on the shoulder with its hood up? :LOL:

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I probley smoke 10-15 bowls a week depending on time and side jobs. If we are slow at work and the boss is out that number goes up 10 extra bowls. Sometimes when I don't know exactly what I want to smoke I'll randomly grab 5 jars and smell them to see what jumps out at me. Yes I have my favorites but to keep from getting burnt out on them and to compare them with others I guess that explains why I have so many blends.

Reactions: Servant King

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There was a Tinderbox employee who would make the hour's drive to JR to avail himself of the prices. He'd buy a 100g tin of McClellands, open it and smoke it from start to finish, and smoke nothing else.

Of course this describes one pole, the other being what the rest of us do, with the availability of cheap (for most of us) tobacco and disposable income, smoking dozens(s) of blends at a time.

If the tobacco is accessible, and certainly if it's in the house, it's going to be more or less impossible to leave alone.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I open and jar all new to me blends, and so I have 50 or so jars to choose from that I dip into when the mood strikes. Some get smoked more often than others. I also cellar mostly bulk, so I don't have many tins in stock. Tinned stuff almost always gets jarred up immediately in my house.

Having a wide range of blends to choose from is what gives me the most satisfaction in pipe smoking, I couldn't just have two or five blends open and available. For instance, I found a jar of Dark Strong Kentucky buried in the back of the cabinet yesterday, I haven't opened it in well over two years. That was a treat.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Several dozen either in jars or in their original tins which are stored in Tupperware containers with a light amount of humidification. Some are smoked very infrequently, but they're there when I want them.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Very few. Used to be many but now I know the blends and aim for two or three. A lat, a va, and a vaper. More or less. Tobacco is money and I respect that.