PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I took the family out to the local car show today and per usual, I was smoking a pipe as we walked around. As you might imagine, public piping draws a fair bit of attention and sparks up almost as much conversation. Which begs the question, where do you enjoy piping in public?

Post your pictures and comments below.

Attachments

• IMG958508.jpg
    IMG958508.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210919_121429.jpg
    20210919_121429.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 40

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I walk my pipes around a lake here at a park at the base of Beaver Creek ski resort (Not far from Vail in Colorado). Having grown up in a city (San Francisco), I find my walks to be Rockwellian as the park seems straight out of the Saturday Evening Post -- kids sledding and skating in the winter and boats, beach and fishing in the summer. Quite lovely.

I find that people are more surprised that I'm smoking actual tobacco in my pipe than something else, as Colorado legalized another smoking substance in 2012. (As a side note, my briars are usually a size 4 or larger, which is not practical for said substance.) Reaction is not hostile, but more curious. (People still smoke wooden pipes?)

And since I fly to San Francisco every other month for family, I am proud to report that the city is not as hostile as one would think. Like Sablebrush, I just pack the pipe and go in California, be it when I am taking my daily walk in the parks, where smoking is technically prohibited, or just around and about.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I just smoke in the street whilst walking, or sitting by a tree reading a book. Very rarely get any comments and when I do they're generally positive.

Was told last year by a park ranger that where I was smoking in a local park (well, more rain forest than park) it wasn't allowed; but he was very apologetic. But absolutely no issues with smoking in the street.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
In public I would mostly be smoking in my car (driving, at work), but people definitely notice. I've smoked at church a couple of times. Not had anyone be offended, only reactions which clearly communicate that people are not seeing someone smoke a pipe very often.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I either smoke in the woods which doesn’t count as in public or at the local park…. Being Canadian and stand off-ish most ignore me, but a few think it’s weed which annoys me. It isn’t that I didn’t smoke weed in public before when I was younger, but I just wish people would appreciate it is actually an old fashioned pipe. I also have a back porch in my new apartment, but always seem to walk to the park anyhow.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I occasionally smoke in the main street plaza, on a bench while watching tourists and normal people go about their business. Usually with my dog and that either keeps people away or draws them to me to ask silly questions about German Shepherds. In the summer it gets a bit crowded and when there are people that want to sit near me, I move over the the pier and plant myself on the railing. Not because I am being polite in case they don't like pipe smoke but because I don't like 99% of people..... sometimes...... maybe...... I sound like a jerk.....

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Wherever I want to smoke.

There's been a few times when I've been holding my unlit pipe in a shopping centre [mall] when I've been approached by security and once by an overly concerned centre manager flanked by two security guards.

They're terribly apologetic when I hold the pipe at eye level and ask "What smoke?" Bloody stupids.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I don't, except when driving a car, if that counts. Never did much, except in airports back when it was acceptable. And hotel lobbies sometimes. And at race tracks. I prefer small cigars now when out, and usually reserve the pipe for "serious" smoking at home. It's just how I roll, nothing to do with anything else.

Reactions: jpmcwjr