PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I smoked a pipe for about 6 months at the end of 2007 into 2008. I also rubbed snuff and when I decided to give that up (after 23 years,) I decided to give up tobacco altogether.

Now, after 13 years, I have the urge to smoke my pipes again. I forget how many I had! About 15 or so-- some basket pipes, a GBD, Big Ben, Petersons, etc. And, since I stored the tobacco in sealed main jars in my basement, most of it seems to be ok.

The problem I have is my wife is afraid a few bowls a week will turn into a few bowls a day, then to snuff again. I tried to assure her that's not how it works, but she's just not buying it.

Anyway, my name is Brad and I'm hoping to light up soon!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Hello all,

I smoked a pipe for about 6 months at the end of 2007 into 2008. I also rubbed snuff and when I decided to give that up (after 23 years,) I decided to give up tobacco altogether.

Now, after 13 years, I have the urge to smoke my pipes again. I forget how many I had! About 15 or so-- some basket pipes, a GBD, Big Ben, Petersons, etc. And, since I stored the tobacco in sealed main jars in my basement, most of it seems to be ok.

The problem I have is my wife is afraid a few bowls a week will turn into a few bowls a day, then to snuff again. I tried to assure her that's not how it works, but she's just not buying it.

Anyway, my name is Brad and I'm hoping to light up soon!
I was addicted to chewing tobacco for about 25 years from college sports on until 1995. So, I share your wife's concern.

So far, pipe smoking is not something I want first thing in the morning. It is more like something I do once a day or not at all. This tells me my addiction is not returning. I think its more of likeing to play with fire...LOL!!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Oz.

Pipe tobacco typically has way less nicotine than cigarettes or snuff [plus it's free from added chemicals]

For 35 years I was addicted to cigarettes; 30-40 a day. Quit attempts were torture.
Over the last few years I'd start craving every 30 minutes.

In-other-words, I was a hopeless case.
Over eleven years ago I switched to a pipe. The first week was the hardest but I told myself to suck it up [the cravings] and that a puff on a pipe was better than nothing and I guess the small amount of nicotine helped take the edge of the withdrawals.

Once I found online tobacconists, I intentionally chose blends with mild nicotine.
Now I can go all day without when occupied and hardly notice.
Now I smoke a pipe because I really enjoy it.

When I feel like a pipe when driving a truck, I'm content to wait an hour or two knowing that I can enjoy a puff when I get to my destination [I don't clench so it's awkward to smoke while playing with an 18-speed crash-box :eek: ]
When I smoked cigs I'd want it now dagnabit!

No longer do I smoke in bed or while having a dump. No longer do I 'have to' have a quick smoke before entering a no-smoking zone.

The difference is night and day.
Smoking a pipe is a relaxing, enjoyable habit, not an addiction.

So you tell your lovely lady that pipe tobacco is nothing like ciggies, chew or snuff.
Many members here smoke one bowl a day or less.

Tobacco, properly stored, will keep for decades. In fact many blends get better with age, Virginias in-particular.
Your baccy should be rather good after 13 years. Let us know.

Pipe tobacco typically has way less nicotine than cigarettes
Actually no. Pipe tobacco, has way more than cigarettes, but because of the way we smoke and ingest the tobacco we don't feel it as strongly as fast, but more over a longer period of time. Inhaling straight to the lungs gives us more of a kick faster, but it doesn't last as long.
As far as chemicals... everything is a chemical. There are casings and toppings added to about 99% of the tobaccos on the market. What we see touted as chemicals in cigarettes' smoke are mostly present in pipe tobaccos also. When we see ammonia and some of those other things in cig smoke, most are just inherent to tobacco in general, but is vaguely described by anti-tobacco people to make us think that some of those dangerous chemicals were added by the evil empire.

But, fooling ourselves into thinking pipes are far safer than cigarettes is one thing, but telling other smokers is another. Sure, because we don't inhale smoke from pipes, we aren't doing as much damage as cigarettes, but it is way better to just be honest with ourselves. This isn't as safe as apple pie. There are risks.

I switched from decades of smoking cigs to the pipe for my health also. But, I keep myself aware of the risks. It is an informed decision made by adults. So... just no need to murky the facts. I say this in hopes it helps and not to just start an argument.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I'm suddenly reminded of the scene in the Woody Allen movie, just after they defrost him and unwrap the aluminum foil, when the future-scientist member of the underground lights up, and when Woody's character exclaims neurotically about it, tells him it had been found to be "actually good for you," or something to that effect.

I wonder why I can't drag up the name of that flick. Maybe because my year-o-meter is going to roll over (again) in a couple of days.

I'm suddenly reminded of the scene in the Woody Allen movie, just after they defrost him and unwrap the aluminum foil, when the future-scientist member of the underground lights up, and when Woody's character exclaims neurotically about it, tells him it had been found to be "actually good for you," or something to that effect.

I wonder why I can't drag up the name of that flick. Maybe because my year-o-meter is going to roll over (again) in a couple of days.

Edit:: No, I was wrong. It was called "Sleepers"

Status
Not open for further replies.