How Large is Your Pipe Collection in Proportion to How Much You Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently just culled the herd from 90 something pipes, down to maybe 35 or so. My plan is to own 53 pipes and that will be enough. I smoke 4-6 bowls a day so that number of pipes is plenty. Where did I get the number 53? My big rack holds 36 pipes, my smaller rack holds 15 pipes and then I have two large pipes ( group 6- ODA) that will sit in a basket next to my racks.
My goal is also that every pipe in my collection will be an American artisan pipe. Right now that is all I have in my collection. I prefer how American artisan pipes smoke. I have smoked plenty of other artisan pipes from countries like the Danish guys. I also have smoked loads of factory pipes from Castello, Dunhill and lots of other well made factory pipes.

When you find something you love, jump on it as in the pipe world, things can change over night. People pass away young like Bruce Weaver. Other people retire ala Rad Davis. I had to learn the hard way many times. Blends get discontinued over night and the customer gets no time to load up. Sometimes you get lucky and predict something is going away ( Rotary Navy Cut ), I got lucky with that one and watched as it just came off the market with no warning. I had loaded up on that one and am so glad I did.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have a drawer full of pipes, but I only have seven pipes that I actually use.
I smoke four bowls a day, with a different tobacco every time.
So I would say my pipes are under represented in relation to the tobacco.
I shall get more pipes at a later stage, but right now, I'm more more interested in building up my cellar before any crackdowns here in the UK.
I estimate I need to stand £900 on baccy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got between 15 and 20 briars, plus some cobs. My smoking varies from zero to five bowls per day. In the summer, I smoke very few pipes, as I enjoy cigars during the heat. In the cooler months when I'm smoking more pipes, I may have one pipe in the evening after work. On the weekends, I usually smoke more.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to find some scientific truth, but as always it’s great to see such diversity in this group of people.

I guess because my tastes have somewhat shifted towards higher end pipes, and I don’t really smoke that often, I personally feel better when I have less (I mean fewer, sorry @mso489) pipes that I at least smoke semi regularly.

I still have a box of pipes I’m planning to sell, so who knows, these might make their way back into the rotation if I’m not careful…

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Around Fitty pipes on the rack, smoke usually 1 bowl a day during the week and 3 or 4 a day on the weekends. So call it 15 to 20 bowls a week, Yes Friday is a weekend day for me.
But mainly stick with my 10 favourites and occasionally switching in a different pipe to change it up every so often.