PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I wish that this section would loosen up on rules re tobacco trades and sales. Well understand pipe area should not become another e bay.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think they do a good job setting rules here. Too many greedy people would come here and take advantage of the membership if there were no limits. Trades and sales should be for the regular members, not for hit-and run drivers, some of whom never fulfilled their end of the deal. Limiting potential fraud is always a welcome idea.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yeah, I'm going to second @jiminks on this one, on all counts. To the OP, I get it; you want to get down to business. I was in your shoes early in the year. Anyway, you've got just over a month remaining and 30+ posts left to go. Like I said, I can recall being in that exact same position; the posts were the easy part, but the time just seemed to move like molasses. That's just the way it is. I accepted the terms for what they were, and just waited as patiently as I could until I hit that four-month mark. And now, not even a full year into my membership, I see just how important those rules are. Lots of guys would get screwed a la the hit-and-run method Jim referred to. Besides, the rules here are just for our own good. It's not like we have to bring prostitutes and caviar to the mods, and fan them with giant palm fronds, or fight each other a la Celebrity Deathmatch for their own amusement! This is all to keep things orderly, and prevent people from taking advantage of each other.

@jpmcwjr Do you like caviar? rotf

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
The qualifications to sell here are quite liberal, particularly in respect to other, similar forums. It is an added befit to membership, a no charge benefit and advantage given to those showing a modest commitment to the community.
The minimum post and time rules are meant to help weed out those whose primary interest is financial gain and exploitation of our community. Anyone who doesn’t like this is free to hawk there wares elsewhere.
I am grateful that the site ownership allows this opportunity at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rules have been crafted by Kevin, the landlord here, and the mods, over time, and kept this a forum rather than a flea market, and it works out pretty well. The conversation and information is the highlight and the sales and trades secondary, though also engaging. I think most members are comfortable with the balance.

Yup. Forum first, sell extra stuff second.

It's bad enough that Fly-bys can even post something in the for-sale sections. If you subscribe to the sections as I do, a scammer with a useless message makes it all the way out to my email. Of course, it's almost always removed from the forum in a timely manner but the emails were sent out to all who subscribe way before they get removed hence, Mission Accomplished..

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yup. Forum first, sell extra stuff second.

It's bad enough that Fly-bys can even post something in the for-sale sections. If you subscribe to the sections as I do, a scammer with a useless message makes it all the way out to my email. Of course, it's almost always removed from the forum in a timely manner but the emails were sent out to all who subscribe way before they get removed hence, Mission Accomplished..
Yeah, I've wondered how any of those actually got something sold before the thread was closed. I don't like seeing people taking undue advantage of this forum for a sake of a buck.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The rules are fine unless you’re a thieving scumbag bitch.

Mind you, I’m not calling the OP a thieving scumbag bitch, unless he posts another “let’s change the rules”, then I’ll freely address him/her/it as a thieving scumbag bitch.

I’m realistic that way.
You know what I like best about you? Your subtlety and diplomacy. LOL

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wish that this section would loosen up on rules re tobacco trades and sales. Well understand pipe area should not become another e bay.
The existing rules were set up after too many rip offs occurred. People who have invested in participating in this forum are less likely to screw over other members. It was either strengthen the requirements or close down the sales and trade board.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Excellent point!
thanks.
The fact is they could probably have an easier time and lose nest to nothing by out right banning sales on the forum. If anything it's obvious they're only even giving as much of an allowance for small time commerce because of their care for the community. Heck they could even take something for it. Make it part of a preferred (paid) membership if they wanted to.