PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
My wife doesn't like the smell of pipe tobacco I smoke English/Balkan/Oriental blends. Once in a while when it rains or snows I want to smoke on the porch what tobacco smells good to non-tobacco people? I don't care about the taste in smoking I will smoke it in my old cob.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
My wife doesn't like the smell of pipe tobacco I smoke English/Balkan/Oriental blends. Once in a while when it rains or snows I want to smoke on the porch what tobacco smells good to non-tobacco people? I don't care about the taste in smoking I will smoke it in my old cob.
You might try Sutliff Natural Cavendish

Reactions: gentlemancob

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
A few I can attest to that I’ve smoked recently
- Peter Stokkebye Nougat (bulk)
- John Aylesbury Dragon Flake
- Peterson Connoisseur’s Choice

What’s more: they satisfy this smoker who gravitates towards English and Virginia blends

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My wife does not like any of my cigars or English/Balkan blends. In fact she has never ever complimented me on any pipe blend :(

If I smoke an aromatic blend, it's usually Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice, Erinmore flake, Sillem's Black or Green or Frog Morton's Cellar.

The latakia in Sillems Black and FMC are fairly subtle and subsumed under the aromatic topping(s) sufficiently for me to consider them crossover / aromatic blends. Win ! Win ! ?

Reactions: gentlemancob

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday

or

Wilke Peanut Butter & Chocolate

Either or both. And to you and those around you, you're welcome.

Here’s what I did…
Early on, I took her to a B&M, and let her smell several blends. My wife decided that Stanwell’s Melange smelled really good. I smoked it in the truck in the way home, and she was happy. So, I dumped that shit out and put some PS Cube Cut in the tin. Everytime she said something about what I was smoking, I’d say, “but you picked this out.” Cube Cut, burleys, Virginias, cigar blends…. “But Baby, this is what you said you liked.” She eventually became so confused, she never brought it up again. Apparently, its a neat little pipesmokers trick that GLP pays homage to in Gaslight.
And, I still have that Melange tin. Habana Daydream is in it right now. puffy

I'm not going to smoke yucky fruitv syrup just to please the public.
We've tested this at home. When I smoke an aromatic, it smells ok when being smoked, but after an hour or so, it is absolutely the worst smelling tobacco. Something alchemical or magical happens to an aromatic after it has been smoked and lingers stale in the air. It takes on an ass smell.
But, a nice straight Virginia smells moderately good while smoking it, and leaves the best after smells. Unless you just hate the smell of tobacco, PERIOD. In that case, what the hell are you doing? Maybe take up juggling or something.

Latakia ranges, because there are so many different types of lat blends, but none of them left a great room note.

When we return home after a trip, where we've been out of the house for a few days or more, that home smell of lingering bowls of virginia or VaBurs... mmmmmm, just smells like home. It beats the hell out of cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for decades before giving them up for the pipe, and I never had that feeling when I returned to the house. It smells like an ashtray, and is embarrassing. Embarrassing to even think that I smelled like that at one time, but a quality Virginia... smells like heaven to return to.