That Was Really Good!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I need to expand my knowledge of cheeses. Up my cheesey game, so to speak.
I’ve just never been around cheeses much. Cheddar, gooda, swiss, feta, parmesan, mozzarella… about as exploratory as I’ve gotten.
someone brought a brie to a wine tasting that I held for friends, but maybe it wasn’t top notch or something, but I was unimpressed.
But, I’m willing to learn.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'm big on all kinds of cheese, and eat it all over the world. Blue was my first real love.

Bought some French triple cream as an afternoon snack yesterday, the bagger at the grocery didn't put in the bag! I was real bummed...

Reactions: ChuckMijo

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Been really into Jarlsberg swiss these days. Lovely taste, just as good as Madrigal IMHO, but unlike Madrigal, melts very easily. Trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich with Madrigal is like trying to eat soup with a fork. Y'all have been warned!

@cosmicfolklore Brie can be very good, but it also can be totally lackluster. If it matures too long, it can take on a gnarly kind of ammonia flavor. Also, if animal rennet is used in lieu of microbial (vegetable) rennet, that can make the cheese start to go funky prematurely. Double cream brie is pretty standard, but if you come across a triple cream brie, you've got it made in the shade, my friend. Errr...just make sure they bag it!

Only no-no thing for me is that I will not combine mammal meat with any kind of dairy product. Short of that, I'll try just about any cheese, unless it has been sitting in the sun for an extended period of time.

Bon appetit, gentlemen!

Been really into Jarlsberg swiss these days. Lovely taste, just as good as Madrigal IMHO, but unlike Madrigal, melts very easily. Trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich with Madrigal is like trying to eat soup with a fork. Y'all have been warned!

@cosmicfolklore Brie can be very good, but it also can be totally lackluster. If it matures too long, it can take on a gnarly kind of ammonia flavor. Also, if animal rennet is used in lieu of microbial (vegetable) rennet, that can make the cheese start to go funky prematurely. Double cream brie is pretty standard, but if you come across a triple cream brie, you've got it made in the shade, my friend. Errr...just make sure they bag it!

Only no-no thing for me is that I will not combine mammal meat with any kind of dairy product. Short of that, I'll try just about any cheese, unless it has been sitting in the sun for an extended period of time.

Bon appetit, gentlemen!
No cheeseburgers?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you get the chance try bierkase. I think there’s only one place left making it in the U.S., in Monroe, WI.

A truly smelly cheese with an incredible creamy, smooth flavor and texture. You gotta get past the smell first.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Have you ever tried this? The geographical area for both milk production and the production of Cake of Casar is located in Cáceres, a province belonging to the Autonomous Community of Extremadura (Spain), and within the regions of Llanos de Cáceres, Sierra de Fuentes and Montánchez , occupying the center - south of said province. The result is a creamy, slightly acidic, spicy and even bitter cheese with a white to yellow interior, sometimes also containing eyes. The flavors of the cake depend on its maturity and also on the time that has passed from its preparation to its consumption, but it will always be very characteristicAbriendo-Torta-del-Casar-.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
Have you ever tried this? The geographical area for both milk production and the production of Cake of Casar is located in Cáceres, a province belonging to the Autonomous Community of Extremadura (Spain), and within the regions of Llanos de Cáceres, Sierra de Fuentes and Montánchez , occupying the center - south of said province. The result is a creamy, slightly acidic, spicy and even bitter cheese with a white to yellow interior, sometimes also containing eyes. The flavors of the cake depend on its maturity and also on the time that has passed from its preparation to its consumption, but it will always be very characteristicView attachment 97520

That looks amazing.

Have you ever tried this? It's a Sardinianmaggotcheese.jpg cheese which contains maggots.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 27, 2020
Is it a strong flavored cheese?

I would imagine as it enters a further, more murky state of ripe, also the maggots apparently change the texture a bit. I believe Italy made it Illegal at some point but their is a thriving black market in Sardinia.

Reactions: JOHN72