PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If we are talking “pure Virginia” I generally prefer stuff that has been air cured as opposed to flue cured, for the more raw sugar almost slow drip coffee like sweetness, I also find it sits better with my palette. So that normally means Gawith stuff. In terms of widely available and economical blends, I like the Sutliff slices as they have more of the brown notes I prefer.

I say “pure Virginia” above, as i assumed you were talking about commercial blends. If you really want to explore the differences in bright leaf varieties, as well as appreciate the impact processing has on tobacco, get yourself some whole leaf. ✌?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
When I started smoking Virginias about 4 yrs ago I started with mild blends like MacBaren Virginia #1. Two years ago I started with stronger Virginias because, to be honest, I wanted more nicotine. I switched to C&D Yorktown and G&H Dark Birdseye. Today I switch back and forth from from mild to medium strength depending on my mood. I still prefer burley, but Virginias are always included a few times a day.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr
Brights tend to be bitey by themself, so blenders will case them or blend them to prevent them from being too acidic.

Astleys 109 is blended and cased lightly with a very slight licorice. But, I'd give it 5/5 stars.
C&Ds Virginia Flake is a favorite of mine, but I am certain that it is blended with a white burley to make it more palatable. It has less the acidic notes, and more of the oatmeal and rasin flavor that a blend of burley and VA would have. I really like it though.
McBaren's Virginia #1 has a lot of bright in it, but their efforts to case it in honey makes it even more bitey, IMO. It can be like a mouth full of pissed off yellowjackets.
Dans Hamboirger Veermeister is about teh same mix of Virginias, but less cased. It smokes a lot more smoothly.

In talking with Jiminks, I think that D&Rs Three Sails is all brightleaf. I would have to say that it is not detectably cased, nor blended, so draw lightly on it, but it should give you the best idea of what a brightleaf tastes like. I will add that C&D's Bright Virginia Ribbon is as well.

Germain's Medium Flake is mostly bright as well, but honestly my last experience with this one... I would call it an aromatic by most of our standards. You might also notice that it is impossible to find.

Hearth and Home's Bright Night is another one. But, you will notice with these that there is a lot of dark leaf in the mix because that delicate bright leaf quickly and easily turns black with age and pressure.

McClellands Dark Star was a bright flake, that had been pressed and heated till it was a nugget of blackness. But, the flavor was slightly lemony sweet. But, McC went tit's up, and it would cost you over $100 a tin to try that one.

Wessex Bright Slices are amazing, but once again, it is hard as finding an Easter egg in a hippie colony to find.

I'm sure I am missing a few, and I don't want to be a suggestion hog, so I'll let the boys here make some suggestions. Let us know what you get and what you think of it.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Lots of great suggestions above. I'll add a few more. I'd classify the first as a light blend, the second and 3rd as medium.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is an excellent introduction to Virginia blends. It has VA, a little perique and a cavendish Center. It's a very sweet smoke.

G.L. Pease Union Square is an excellent display of what can be done by simple combining several different types of VA leaf together. It's a very flavorful and interesting smoke. It has it all. Grass, hay, bread, honey. definitely requires slow smoking. (This was the VA that opened my eyes to the beauties of Virginia tobacco after smoking heavy Latakia blends exclusively for a long time.)

Mac Barren HH Pure Virginia is another favorite of mine that combines a few varieties of VA into an interesting blend. It shares some similarities with Union Square in the melange of flavors, but comes in a nice true flake presentation. Also requires slow smoking.

Bonus* For a Virginia with some backbone Rattrays Hal o the Wynd

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some of my favorite straight Virginia's. The following are readily available.
Capstan Blue Flake
Peterson Flake
The rest are hard to find.
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage Flake and Special Brown Flake
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Slice
Astleys no 109 Medium Flake and no 44 Dark Flake