PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks to all the well wishers. I hope everyone stays safe out there. I am telling you it was Abba who saved my bacon. Never underestimate the power of ABBA.

jesse, I am getting my booster as soon as it is available I have no desire to do that dance ever again. I will get a booster every time it is available. .The fact it is free is amazing.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Happy to hear you made it through! Your posts are always a welcome read!

@mso489 I was talking to a biochemist the other night about the nicotine/smoking and covid. What he explained was that nicotinimides (I think that's the word), that is, chemicals related to nicotine like those found in eggplants etc showed some effects on spike proteins and cell receptors, or some such, and that they figured that putting some covid positive folks on nicotine patches would be worth the trial. Neither he nor I know the results, but he was guessing not much. Oh well, I was hoping my pipe was keeping me negative.

Reactions: Call Me Late

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
Glad you’re alright! I had Covid back in December. It’s no joke. It knocked me out for a month and then another 3 months to full recovery. It may not have killed me but definitely worse than any flu I’ve had.

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
Happy to hear you made it through! Your posts are always a welcome read!

@mso489 I was talking to a biochemist the other night about the nicotine/smoking and covid. What he explained was that nicotinimides (I think that's the word), that is, chemicals related to nicotine like those found in eggplants etc showed some effects on spike proteins and cell receptors, or some such, and that they figured that putting some covid positive folks on nicotine patches would be worth the trial. Neither he nor I know the results, but he was guessing not much. Oh well, I was hoping my pipe was keeping me negative.
Not sure how true it is but I heard natives used to put tobacco leaves on wounds because they sped up recovery. Wonder if there’s something to it.

Jan 27, 2020
Covid was awful. My experiences were somewhat similar, but more mild. Not getting vaccinated, well, not even sure what to say to those people...

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Congratulations on the big come back. Glad you made it! Physiologically this thing continues to mystify.

My brief story, I got it early before the vaccine. I'm in health care and that was my exposure. I was asked to continue working during the Incubation period and had a brief two minute histamine response as I waited in my car to get tested, other than a running nose for about two minutes I was asymptomatic. Upon confirmation that I had it I quarantined in the basement. Not knowing how I'd respond to the virus I continued to exercise even hitting personal records on our Peloton, I'm sure aided by the "freakout" factor. I could smell everything being cooked in the kitchen upstairs, I mean no symptoms period. Ninety days out of isolation I got my vaccine.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
The wife and I had our 2nd shots on May 1, early August she and her sister went out running around on a Sunday. By Tuesday they were both starting feel tired/worn out, her sister was sent home from work on Thursday with a 101F temp. Tested that day and Friday got the positive results back. We went on the next Saturday for tests and Sunday the wife was positive and I negative. I retested on Wednesday and got another negative result. We set less than 2ft apart in our livingroom, no clue how I didn't get it. Luckily it was a somewhat mild case for my wife, although she did lose taste and smell that is still mostly gone.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
The wife and I had our 2nd shots on May 1, early August she and her sister went out running around on a Sunday. By Tuesday they were both starting feel tired/worn out, her sister was sent home from work on Thursday with a 101F temp. Tested that day and Friday got the positive results back. We went on the next Saturday for tests and Sunday the wife was positive and I negative. I retested on Wednesday and got another negative result. We set less than 2ft apart in our livingroom, no clue how I didn't get it. Luckily it was a somewhat mild case for my wife, although she did lose taste and smell that is still mostly gone.
Somehow my wife didn't get it either. She's had more than her fair share of exposure, tested 6 times and has never come up positive.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok, that was no fun at all. i luckily got vaccinated before I got the disease. It was like being in a different world. I would wake up and have no idea who I was or where I was. I had a fever for maybe a week tops. I had to use a puffer for a while. I lost time as I don't remember when I got it or how long I had it for. The last date I remember was sometime late in August.

I never lost my sense of smell or taste and I am smoking my pipe for the first time since I got it. This thing is no joke boys and girls. If it can kick my ass it can get most as I have never gotten the flue shot or the flue
Yeah it can certainly kick your ass. It kicked mine. Though I was a bit of hipster. I got it when people where still debating if it would get here or not.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks to all the well wishers. I hope everyone stays safe out there. I am telling you it was Abba who saved my bacon. Never underestimate the power of ABBA.

jesse, I am getting my booster as soon as it is available I have no desire to do that dance ever again. I will get a booster every time it is available. .The fact it is free is amazing.
You're right, in my opinion, an all counts! Glad you're recovering. Well wishes and saying a "Hail M. . . ." for you as I type.

I gratefully got the Pfizer booster last Fri in our dinky Texas town. My Vet told me Fri morning the town hospital had extra Pfizer (and one other brand, forget which) shots they were opening up to the public as boosters from 9am-noon. Still wearing multiple masks (N100, surgical and one other on top of the other two).

I had bought a couple of boxes of surgical masks back when SARS was going on and only used a couple in the past years (for mowing in late summer in dusty area of the backyard). I use 'em over the N100 mask (I don't know where any N100's are available now?).

Godspeed on Your Complete Recovery.
kindly
mike

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't want to turn this political but if I had not been a devote follower of ABBA I never would have made it. Listening to Dancing Queen day and night was the trick.
Jesus, ABBA? That would’ve made me ready for the grave! Only thing worse would’ve been Bette Midler or Barbara Streisand!?
I’m glad you’re on the mend, brother! I’ve had that crap at least once, probably twice. It was no fun, but thankfully it was never serious for me. Worst part for me was I couldn’t really taste tobacco for months. Every blend tasted like straight Turkish. I consider that as being fairly good, since I’ve got loved ones that have died from it.
I too went ahead and got jabbed, because I’m around it constantly. Someone told me I’m essential, or some horseshit like that, which means if I can still get it again I probably will. ?‍♂️
Keep on the upward trend, man.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Glad you're OK Harris........But in all seriousness, what was the point of the vaccine?
I thought vaccines kept you from getting things....... Boosters?? Really, .....
What take a booster every month cuz ths GOV'MINT tells you to?.............
I live my life like I see fit............ drink too much, smoke too much........all bad things that the GOV'MINT tells me is bad........... I do enjoy my freedom, We're all gonna pass from this world sooner or later, and I'd prefer to go without some bullshit chemicals stuck in my arm........... You Know........ "Close to the Edge"............ puffy
Had a friend-he was 76 but not ready to go-who died of covid about 4 months ago who was not immunized. After he recovered from a bout of pneumonia while hospitalized, he vowed to get immunized when discharged. Never made it as he took a turn for the worse shortly thereafter. Despite that, his son still does not believe in vaccination, nor his stepson who is my grandson. This could, of course, also expose my grandson's 5 year-old son to it should any of them get sick. We are vaccinated. So, you could say I have a stake in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.