PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
As time goes by ... a long day's work is much more bearable with a drink and a smoke in the evening. This has become, not necessarily the norm lately, but with the whole pandemic and hardships of the past year and a half I sure upped my drinking habit. I know this is not quite a healthy approach. One doesn't need to get drunk to feel the negative effects of alcohol in time, but non the less sometimes it's quite an enjoyable escape. Also, I suppose that genetics helps .. my late father in law passed recently after a life of smoking and drinking, perhaps a little too much - he enjoyed liquor on a daily basis, and he ate those cigarettes. But then again so did my late grandfather, who was a heavy cig smoker and drinker, and he got to live to 77 (not the healthiest bugger when he passed, but what can you expect after 60 years of abuse).

So I am contemplating on my own habits, and in order to satisfy my sadistic curiosity I must ask, how often do you enjoy a smoke and a drink?

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I usually have a couple beers a night which I find no issues with. If I go more than that on a regular basis or break out the wine or hard stuff too often then I notice it does wear on me, but I sometimes like to party haha. Pipes are 3-4 a day, sometimes more but 3 a day feels fine for myself( I also smoke smaller pipes like cobs). It all depends on the person for how much is too much. I think regular exercise and keeping moving is a better bet for keeping healthy than worrying about if that one extra bowl or beer is gonna do you in.

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
For some reason I never enjoyed alcoholic beverages while smoking pipe. With cigars however, is a different story. Distilled spirits, mainly, wine and the occasional cocktail. A few times a week, moderate. Smoking a Toscano Antico and drinking Zetea palinca de gutui (a Romanian brand of quince brandy) as typing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know you're talking alcohol, but I'd just point out that any beverage often helps pipe smoking, coats your mouth a little, and increases the volume of smoke. After that, I think the best advice is moderation. You'll do better with just a drink or two of alcohol, or you'll just have to keep upping the quantity to sustain the pleasure. Try non-alcoholic beverages mostly; they may provide the benefits with fewer costs.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Coffee with a pipe every time unless I’m out on the hills then it’s water or electrolyte/hydration mix. A cigar pair’s beautifully with a dram or beer etc. Only tend to drink at weekends (alcohol) and cigars/pipes can be less frequent. Everything in moderation unfortunately ?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I know you're talking alcohol, but I'd just point out that any beverage often helps pipe smoking, coats your mouth a little, and increases the volume of smoke. After that, I think the best advice is moderation. You'll do better with just a drink or two of alcohol, or you'll just have to keep upping the quantity to sustain the pleasure. Try non-alcoholic beverages mostly; they may provide the benefits with fewer costs.
Very sound advice, sir. I am not at the point of fighting an urge for alcohol, but I do get your meaning.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
A bowl or two sometimes daily, sometimes not. Always with a beverage; however occasionally (once a week maybe) with spirits. (Scotch, bourbon, sour mash, or Irish) For me it is a very relaxing experience and as such I treat it (The combining of my pipe with spirits) as an occasional reward. This way it remains an elevated experience and not dulled by being too commonplace. If that makes any sense...