PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I am sure this has been discussed before, but do you prefer your pipe tobacco to be dry or moist? I tend to like my tobacco on the dry side. Not crispy, but dry. I find that for me it burns cooler, less relights and with more taste. Many believe that pipe tobacco should be moist to get all the flavors that it has to offer. So many blends have so much PG on them that they may never dry out. I tend not to smoke them too often. I smoke a lot of "Codger" blends that for me are perfect right out of the freshly opened tub. What is your opinion?

I prefer mine bone dry. Moisture has never cooled off the smoke for me, just the opposite. Technique, cadence, and packing. I also find that bone dry, I get more flavor. But, it is easy to puff just a little to much and get ashy flavors, but all in all, I find that dry gives me the best smoking experience.

I just pop my tins of jars and let the whole thing dry out, then I am ready to dig in.

Jun 23, 2019
Woo, this might get controversial but I think there isn't really an "opinion" to be had here. Tobacco is supposed to be dried to a pretty specific % to maximize taste/smoking mechanics.

The "I like my tobacco moist" crowd is very often also the "Why won't my virginias stay lit"/"Why does it taste like anything but hot ash" crowd.

EDIT: didn't see cosmic's reply before mine posted but basically what he said!

Jun 25, 2021
England
Maybe partly because I live in the UK, where we never really get any high humidity, I prefer my tobacco on the moist side.
Usually straight from the tin or jar.
No problem lighting up or staying lit.
I don't like the ashy taste of dry tobacco, or the harshness it gives me in the mouth.
It's different for everyone, so it's really hard to generalise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find drying blends makes them smoke better, and in some cases, makes them smoke at all. I don't smoke much Lane, but they seem saturated, maybe with preservatives. I have a dab of 1Q in a jar that I've had for years, and it's still soaking wet. I recently got a small amount of HGL, and it takes many relights to keep it going, though it is somewhat tasty.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends to some extent on what you're smoking. I like my Virginias just shy of bone dry. Aromatics need a little moisture of the topping goes flat. English blends are more tolerant of moisture variations, but I still perfer them dry. But If I don't have the time to wait I can still enjoy a satisfying smoke because the orientals and Latakia are flavor bomobs.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For 30 years, I used to like moist tobacco. I was perfectly content to smoke it as it came out of the tin. The sky's were blue, the clouds were fluffy and the birds were singing their songs happily. Then the chuckleheads here on this forum were all like "It's got to be dry! It tastes better dry!" Of course, it's advice from the internet and half of them are either alcoholics, general miscreants or one flat tire's frustration away from shooting the president crazy so I took it with a grain of salt. Then I left some tobacco out and it dried. Now, I could have gone down to my cellar, pulled out some new tobacco and tried it. But being the lazy SOB (no, its true! My mom wasn't a pleasant woman) I am, I rallied my inner fat guy and smoked it anyways. Damned it the chuckleheads weren't right, it did taste better! So now I dry it all. It just goes to show you that you are never too dumb to learn. Except one dog I had. He was just a box of rocks. His sister was the USCA Schutzhund Grand Champion. He could barely make it down the stairs without tripping or lift his leg to pee without toppling over.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Most codger blends out of tub isn't exactly dry. I started with somewhat dry tobacco. Then went to bone dry. Now I smoke somewhat moist. But on occasions, I'll dry the tobacco. It's more or less what I feel like, and how much time I have to dry the tobacco. You can control the level of the pain with your technique.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like my tobacco dry, but not too dry. Just short of crispy is my sweet spot, where you can pinch it and it is still somewhat pliable, but there is no feeling of coolness or moisture at all.

Maybe partly because I live in the UK, where we never really get any high humidity, I prefer my tobacco on the moist side.
Usually straight from the tin or jar.
No problem lighting up or staying lit.
I don't like the ashy taste of dry tobacco, or the harshness it gives me in the mouth.
It's different for everyone, so it's really hard to generalise.

I agree that crispy tobacco can be harsh. In my subjective experience (which includes other variables such as how firmly I pack and how much I draw on the pipe), drying tobacco past a certain point can result in rough edges that weren't there before.

Most codger blends out of tub isn't exactly dry. I started with somewhat dry tobacco. Then went to bone dry. Now I smoke somewhat moist. But on occasions, I'll dry the tobacco. It's more or less what I feel like, and how much time I have to dry the tobacco. You can control the level of the pain with your technique.

I do smoke codger burleys like Carter Hall straight out of the tub without drying. The fluffy shag cut seems to help it burn well no matter what.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Crispy or just shy of it. Although I think it has a lot to do with the humidity of where you live or your drying spot like your house. I live near the coast and I can leave my tobacco out for days and it won’t ever be super crispy bone dust dry. But I’ve been to other places where it will surely turn to dust if left out too long.

virginias are better super dry but burley can be a tad sweeter I find if slightly more moist, but I still prefer it on the edge of crispy at least.