PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Hi guys,

Recently got a good deal on a dunhill 1954 Shell, shape 113 billiard. The pipe looks nice, but the stem looks a bit too new to me for a 60 y/o piece of vulcanite, i.e. shiny black and completely flush with the shank.

I have a 1937 Bruyere 113 (which I'm pretty sure has an original stem) to compare with. The taper seemed slightly different and the white dot is larger on the shell by about 20%. The seller says he confirmed it was a new stem before he purchased it, and was restored and sanded slightly hence the new look, the difference of the taper may be due to the 20 year difference in manufacture date, but he would refund it if I don't like it. tbh I don't mind that much if its a replacement or original, as long as it smokes well, but just feel like I need to know. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

note: the stem on the1937 bruyere is pretty buffed out, the stem misses the shank by about 0.2mm on both top and bottom, and the button is pretty flat to the point it could slide out with a lose clench, maybe that explains the difference?WechatIMG4.jpegWechatIMG5.jpegWechatIMG6.jpegWechatIMG7.jpegWechatIMG2.jpeg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
To me, if the 54 stem is a replacement, I’d say it’s probably 30+ years old given the oxidation and the small tooth impressions. I’d probably be comparing the tenon to a similar pipe. Or find a photo of a 54 pipe and compare yours to it and not to a 37.

I’m going to go with original.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The pipe looks nice, but the stem looks a bit too new to me for a 60 y/o piece of vulcanite, i.e. shiny black and completely flush with the shank.
I've had a few from the 1930s and newer that could have passes for new. Keeping them away from direct UV exposure, clean, and oiled goes a long way in keeping them pristine.

the white dot is larger on the shell
Dot size varies slightly and isn't always perfectly centered.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Close ups of the slot and button from several angles, plus a couple close ups of the tenon (taken from an angle that shows the "shoulder" where the tenon meets the stem face) will settle the matter.
I kept meaning to ask you, did you change addresses? Had a bamboo Punto Oro returned a little while back.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I kept meaning to ask you, did you change addresses? Had a bamboo Punto Oro returned a little while back.
No changes on this end of any kind in the past ten years. Also, my house-to-house delivery guy has remained the same for nearly that long (8 years), and we get along great. He knows what's up with all the boxes I receive, and always uses the security locker on my porch.

The USPS in general is deteriorating, though. Short staffed, and the people they do hire are effectively minimum wage temps who care nothing about maintaining a tradition of excellence (which definitely existed at one time). Supervisors have recently been caught messing with staff hours to stay under budget, etc. Add COVID to the financial crap, and there you go.

In short, there's no way to ever know what happened in your case. At least you got it back. lol

Reactions: DangerStranger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like George said, the devil is in the details. I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me. A larger dot on a small pipe is not uncommon. Slight changes in profile are not uncommon. As for original? One rarely knows for sure. Companies like Dunhill, Barling, Comoy, etc had their own in-house repair departments for replacing stems, cleaning, and doing maintenance on customers' pipes.

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Here are pictures of the tenon and the button. Left-Bruyere, right-Shell on all shots. What are your thoughts? Thanks guys.
WechatIMG13.jpegWechatIMG14.jpegWechatIMG15.jpegWechatIMG16.jpegWechatIMG17.jpegWechatIMG18.jpegWechatIMG19.jpeg