PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
I know how you can smoke a well-packed pipe with the bowl pointing down, to aid in shielding the embers from rain. But would it be possible to actually light a freshly packed bowl by holding it upside down over the tip of a match and puffing as usual? My crazy idea basically lies in the fact that using a zippo without the pipe insert is a bit akward in trying to have the flame travel down to the tobacco and I once had this bit of a brainwave. Would it be possible, considering that when lighting up the tobacco expands, hence the need for the light tamping between charring and true light ? Or would the tobacco fall down miserily out of the bowl?

Thanks everyone for such a friendly and helpful forum!

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’d say to keep practicing upright w/the Zippo and matches. Draw the flame down into the bowl. While I’ve never done it, I suspect that trying to light upside down will have the surface ash fall out, particularly when the tobacco expands… but give it a try. A lot of pipe smoking is trial and error ?

Just put your non-lighter holding hand over the bowl and lighter as you light it. Lighting a pipe upside down, no matter what type of lighter you use, will inevitably result in damage to your pipe.

I, being one not to fret over looking silly, still wouldn't really smoke a pipe upside down in the rain. I've never had a qualm with just smoking one right-side up during rain. Unless you are also carrying something that ties up your hands. But, when the rainfall picks up, I just put my hand over the bowl. And, during normal rain, not enough water is going to hit that chamber to matter. YMMV

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
Just put your non-lighter holding hand over the bowl and lighter as you light it. Lighting a pipe upside down, no matter what type of lighter you use, will inevitably result in damage to your pipe.

I, being one not to fret over looking silly, still wouldn't really smoke a pipe upside down in the rain. I've never had a qualm with just smoking one right-side up during rain. Unless you are also carrying something that ties up your hands. But, when the rainfall picks up, I just put my hand over the bowl. And, during normal rain, not enough water is going to hit that chamber to matter. YMMV
Thanks! Mine was just a curiosity, BTW, something I'd imagined it could work in a certain way, but that I'd thought for fun and giggles, basically

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
I’d say to keep practicing upright w/the Zippo and matches. Draw the flame down into the bowl. While I’ve never done it, I suspect that trying to light upside down will have the surface ash fall out, particularly when the tobacco expands… but give it a try. A lot of pipe smoking is trial and error ?
Thanks! Will do

Reactions: STP

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I sometimes smoke a pipe upside down in the rain; living in the tropics does mean rain can be intense at times. But I've never tried to light it like that and I too suspect that it might lead to some loss of tobacco; I can usually find a convenient shop window/awning or something similar to shelter in whilst lighting.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think you're packing a bit too tight. It should not be something you can't do pulling the down into the pipe. I had that issue and just a touch lighter packing fixed it. Also you don't need to pull the flame into contact with the tobacco, hovering slightly above is best. :)

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Silly question.....there are actually people that will stand in the rain without an umbrella?

If you're under an umbrella, no need to turn your pipe upside down. If you're not under an umbrella in rain heavy enough to put out your pipe, you might have more pressing issues to be dealt with...just saying.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

I can attest you don’t fret over looking silly…???

Reactions: Bobby Bailey

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Silly question.....there are actually people that will stand in the rain without an umbrella?

If you're under an umbrella, no need to turn your pipe upside down. If you're not under an umbrella in rain heavy enough to put out your pipe, you might have more pressing issues to be dealt with...just saying.
Not standing! But for a short trip on foot upside down works well. Especially if you don't have a brolly with you.