PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Don't recall seeing anything on here. According to Les Wood, Ken passed back in April.

"Les Wood here just to let the pipe smoking groups know that i had a call from Barry Jones of James Upshals pipes that Kennedy Barnes the original owner from James Upshals pipe passed away in April,
i understand that there is a small workshop with all the machines and the briar block that are to be sold off,
i dont know what is there but if there are any intrested parties out there in the pipe makeing world, if you Message me with your detales i will pass them on to Ken's brother and he will contact you as and when he can,
Les Wood"

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Don't recall seeing anything on here. According to Les Wood, Ken passed back in April.

"Les Wood here just to let the pipe smoking groups know that i had a call from Barry Jones of James Upshals pipes that Kennedy Barnes the original owner from James Upshals pipe passed away in April,
i understand that there is a small workshop with all the machines and the briar block that are to be sold off,
i dont know what is there but if there are any intrested parties out there in the pipe makeing world, if you Message me with your detales i will pass them on to Ken's brother and he will contact you as and when he can,
Les Wood"
Oh, no!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
RIP Ken Barnes
His contributions here will be missed. His first hand recollections of his time at Upshall and Charatan were invaluable.
Barry Jones got most of the kudos, but Ken's contribution was just as important to the success of Upshall.
I was very lucky to score 2 pipes from his collection last year.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Son of a bitch.

He and I exchanged many emails, videos, pics, etc. Even several Zoom calls. A wonderful, generous, outgoing, friendly man. His enthusiasm never waned, so it was probably something unexpected that struck without warning.

Dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit...

The depth of his knowledge in many areas of pipemaking will never be matched because they CAN never be matched (the circumstances he grew up surrounded by no longer exist).

The pipes he made the past few years were also singular. Traditional English styling with a Scandanavian flair and precision of execution. Truly excellent.

What a loss.

Dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit...

RIP, Ken :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
This news is just terrible...his knowledge and stylecraft cannot be matched. Just these past few years where he produced his own brand and carving...just amazing work. This is as bad as if GeorgeD had passed. Both gentlemen are/were top of the line in their work. GeorgeD your are put on notice to take it easy and don't exert yourself. You are a treasure as Ken was.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Even though Charatan pipes never seem to hit my sweet spot, I relished the threads where he contributed. The info he shared was indeed as rare as it was valuable.

Really makes me wonder what the heck happened to the poor bastard.
His last sign-on here was March 16.
How did it take 4 months to come to light? Sheesh.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Several people of broad professional experience in the pipe industry, and whose opinion I highly value, have told me over the years that Ken was the most talented cutter they ever met. I think it appropriate to share here a video link Ken sent me last November:

Status
Not open for further replies.