PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I recently got back into trekking and climbing local mountains. I would normally bring a cob but I don’t like smoking a cob all day as they can get that damp muddled taste after consecutive bowls. I started bringing my OMS cased meerschaum and I haven’t looked back. The case protects the pipe and keeps it mostly odor free in my hiking backpack. I also like that I can smoke it all day for as long as I’m trekking without much changes to the flavor of the tobacco smoked. I find a cheap wind cap to be a necessity when at any high elevation and to lessen the chance of live embers escaping.

Are there any trekkers here? If so, what pipes do you like to bring for the journey?

Here are some photos of my last trip to the Seven Devils Recreational area in Idaho. I was able to summit the Tower of Babel but it was too windy to smoke at the top.

Attachments

• 816DA145-6598-4E88-B79B-37E58F19A4E6.jpeg
    816DA145-6598-4E88-B79B-37E58F19A4E6.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 33
  • A6059774-82C8-4912-A589-A062D2175DA2.jpeg
    A6059774-82C8-4912-A589-A062D2175DA2.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, I get pretty upset at myself when my nails make a scratch on my favorite meer, would hate to think what dropping it on a hike would do. I prefer these:

ZJdkFBUl.jpg

Morgan bones - "unfinished" briar basics, reasonably priced and comes in a variety of size and shapes. Chunky stem, great for clenching.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Yeah, I get pretty upset at myself when my nails make a scratch on my favorite meer, would hate to think what dropping it on a hike would do. I prefer these:

ZJdkFBUl.jpg

Morgan bones - "unfinished" briar basics, reasonably priced and comes in a variety of size and shapes. Chunky stem, great for clenching.
Yeah, my photos are terrible but the pipe is rusticated. I did fall down on loose rock a few times. For long hikes, I like that I can keep smoking the same pipe. I am good with a briar pipe for a one or two day trip.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Life is too short anyway. So, bring the best pipe you enjoy!!

I hike often and even more that I’m 2 miles from a series of trails. I haven’t brought a pipe. It’s too hot and I am soaked. Maybe this Winter.

It can get pretty cold up here in the PNW. On my hike last weekend, it only got up to the 50s midday.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I generally take one of my two leadwood pipes. They act like meer's but are obviously more durable. They do tend to be a bit heavier though. Nothings perfect.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy