PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
Hi pipers. When you buy a new pipe, I’m curious if you guys keep the box. If so why? My modest collection is growing and I seem to want to hold onto all the original packaging, receipt, and those nice brand boxes. But I guess that only has value if I intend to resell right? Do you ever store pipes back in boxes? Thanks and happy smoking!
Tom

Reactions: smokeymo

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I don't store the pipes in their boxes but I may when I build a pipe shelf. Always keep the box and the bag. The pipe keeps its resell value better if you have the original stuff it came with.

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
+1 on a plastic tote but in the basement....
If I ever sell a pipe, I include the box. Probably adds little to no value (unless it's an antique collectible).
I did sell a 1950's era Kaywoodie Churchwarden with box, bag and phamphlet, which added to the value for that particular pipe.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've never paid more for an estate pipe because it still had its bag and/or box. I suppose the box, bag, or case, may add value in the odd circumstance, like a paired set etc., but not in general. Still, I keep my boxes and bags. Some of my bags I don't know goes with which pipe. Oh, well. :)

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I keep the pipe pouches. Artisan pipes rarely if ever come with a box

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Only kept Peterson clamshell boxes with hinges. They hold two pipes each and was useful in moving. New cardboard boxes are gone. Nope, not selling my pipes.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’m firmly opposed to keeping stuff I don’t use (at least in principal... in practice I still have a bunch of unused crap), so I almost never keep packaging for anything.

Reactions: Tommydawg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As my pipe collection has fully outgrown available pipe racks, have kept a couple of my more recent boxes my Petersons came in to store them within on a shelf. Had previously ditched all my boxes. What I have a growing collection too nice to part with are pipe socks. Peterson had fairly recently gone to routinely sending their new pipes above a certain price point in green suede bags. I'd only use such while traveling for the day, which seldom happens. So, they won't get much use but can't see tossing them. Have about 5-6 of them now.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
If it came in a box, then I keep it, gets stored in behind my cigar boxes in the closet.
I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to boxes, I still have the box my XBOX 360 came in.

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
As my pipe collection has fully outgrown available pipe racks, have kept a couple of my more recent boxes my Petersons came in to store them within on a shelf. Had previously ditched all my boxes. What I have a growing collection too nice to part with are pipe socks. Peterson had fairly recently gone to routinely sending their new pipes above a certain price point in green suede bags. I'd only use such while traveling for the day, which seldom happens. So, they won't get much use but can't see tossing them. Have about 5-6 of them now.
I love the green Peterson bag!