PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
This blend is wonderful and has earned a spot as an all day smoke for me. I like a big variety of tobaccos and have around 25 open jars I switch up through the week and this blend is always in that rotation. It isn't too strong or too sweet and the moisture content was spot on for me. It's easy to prep, pack, and light. The taste I get is buttered toast with some cinnamon sugar in the first 2/3s and the last third it gets alittle more spicy more like red hot candy taste. It doesn't bite at all for me. The fact you can buy it in bulk for a decent price definitely helps also. If you haven't given this one a try I definitely would put it on your list.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Nice write-up. I also enjoy this blend. It's great both fresh and aged. Fresh, I seem to taste a little more of the rum topping. Aged, the topping seems to disappear a bit but the constituent tobaccos seem to meld better and provide an overall richer, smoother smoke.

The price, especially if you're buying in quantity, doesn't hurt. One of the best values out there, IMO.

Others to try that are very similar are Comoy's Cask no. 4 and Newminister 400. Both adhere to the same concept as LNF but each is a little different.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love LNF as well, and really enjoy the spicy perique which seems to be there in ample quantity. Of all the various bulk blends I’ve ever tried, this and Balkan Supreme are probably my favorites.

Also agree 100% with @musicman above about aging and the topping. I like LNF with a couple years of age on it so the coconut-like flavor recedes into the background. It becomes part of the overall flavor instead of causing me to ask myself “why did someone put a coconut topping on this Va/per?” every time I light up some LNF.

I find LTF to be too sweet and aromatic, and LNF is just a tad too boring. So I will stack a flake of each on top of each other and twist them together and then stuff them in my pipe. I call it the Cosmic Twist, ha ha.
But, to me, combined, they have the aroma of the inside of a boot store or Western Wear; new leather, felt hats, etc... It's one of my favorite smokes. But, either of them by themselves is just, meh... IMO.

I will actually buy a pound of each and then alternate the flakes before I jar them. They even age way better this way, IMO.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I find LTF to be too sweet and aromatic, and LNF is just a tad too boring. So I will stack a flake of each on top of each other and twist them together and then stuff them in my pipe. I call it the Cosmic Twist, ha ha.
But, to me, combined, they have the aroma of the inside of a boot store or Western Wear; new leather, felt hats, etc... It's one of my favorite smokes. But, either of them by themselves is just, meh... IMO.

I will actually buy a pound of each and then alternate the flakes before I jar them. They even age way better this way, IMO.
Now this I gotta try!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
100%. If you’re building a cellar and you like Virginias, buy 5 pounds of this right now, jar it up and forget about it while you wait on K&K or WCC drops and/or experiment with other blends. You will not go wrong.

I agree that LNF is good for the price, but I also think it's just plain good. If it only came tinned and sold at regular tinned tobacco prices, I'd buy it in tins. But like you said, it comes in bulk cheap. Lucky for us puffy