Have Some Strains of Tobacco Gone Extinct?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Forgive my ignorance (you guys have usually always been good at that), but is there just one type of tobacco plant that is commercially used? If there was ever more than one, did one become extinct just because it wasn't commercially viable?
There is a story in one of my tobacco books about Rustica disappearing for long time. And, it was one if the guys who founded American Spirit who discovered the seeds in a Native American archeological site.

There are a few ancient strains like Orinoco that I’m not sure of they have a commercial use or not. It was the basis for most flue cured strains. But, there are a ton of seed stock strains that are really only sold as heirloom or heritage seed stock for hobbyists and homegrowers.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I wish I could recall the name of the guy who researched this exact topic and had the answer. Seems like there have been several types of tobacco to have fallen by the wayside through the millenia.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also depends on a working definition of "extinct". Commercially extinct is what I think you mean.

There are also seed banks that attempt to save all manner of seed, whether in production or not.

Reactions: JOHN72

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The United States Department of Agriculture has 1902 entries for Nicotiana tabacum, and 85 for N. rustica for which seeds are available. They have many more in the library that are not available for distribution.

The Canadian germplasm bank has a few that ARS-GRIN doesn't. Then there are tobacco seed banks which are owned by major tobacco companies.

Most certainly there are strains that have slipped under the rug by not being saved, or losing viability. Also, there are locally used varieties out there that are not in any bank, so one could say some of those are at risk of changing due to poor DNA maintenance.

I know of one tobacco that has gone missing. Nostrano del Brenta. There are hybrids that descend from it which are close enough, but the original went extinct in the mid 20th century due to changes in the Italian tobacco industry, and possibly due to WW2. The original was the direct descendent of the first N. tabacum cultivated in Europe by monks in the Brenta region of Italy.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The base tobacco in Syria is probably different from that in Cyprus but they would probably still be using it as a sun cured leaf for cigarette. The wood used would make the most profound difference between the two Latakias.

A very reputable source of this type of info is @istanbulin in the FTT forum. He says the strain used in Cyprus is called Yayla. "Growing Latakia" in Northern Cyprus is back - https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/growing-latakia-in-northern-cyprus-is-back.5586/

This strain is probably what we know as Yayladag which is available as seed from a seed supplier in Washington. Northwest Tobacco Seeds Providing nicotiana seeds at wholesale prices for retail distributors and growers world wide Tobaccos - http://nwtseeds.com/Yayladag.htm

Reactions: cosmicfolklore