PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm back! The banned life is a boring life. I've been writing lines, à la Harry Potter - "I will reduce the amplitude of my sarcasm." Hopefully I can stay for a while.

Here's an experimental texture on a tiny pipe. I charred the surface with a small torch, applied black stain to even everything out, then applied two coats varnish.

The teensy shank cracked under the heat, so I cut it back to solid wood. I'll probably put a band on it, or maybe do something funner and skillier.

My question is whether the char will flake off. We will see. I first burned a scrap as a proof of concept: that piece was torched more deeply, producing (presumably) more fragile chunks of char. I varnished the scrap and am waiting for it to cure, then I will pick off the chunks to see how well adhered they are.

20210801_172130.jpg20210801_172120.jpg20210801_172105.jpg20210801_172030.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am surprised you didn't chose to use a nickel band. By the way, please feel encouraged to share with us the reasoning for your ban from the forums if you don't mind.

I am never quite sure where the trip wires are and being that I am prone to stumble around quite a bit, I am confident "if not for the Grace of God, there go I."

I think a few other posters have taken a stumble lately as well.

The problem is this... people get banned, lets say for sarcasm. The problem for us is that the post that banned them is deleted and there with them goes the clear example of what is not acceptable.

I wonder if the mods could pin a post showing clear examples of what constitutes being adios-ed. Maybe an example that walks up to the line along with the one word or two that takes it over.

I have a dry humor and it doesn't always translate well in print. I also tend to post when I am tired and clearly should have waited until morning. I also tend to respond to someone who should have left well enough alone and realize that when you call someone out they might call out back. Anyway, I was wondering if you were still here. Good to see you back.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I am surprised you didn't chose to use a nickel band. By the way, please feel encouraged to share with us the reasoning for your ban from the forums if you don't mind.

I am never quite sure where the trip wires are and being that I am prone to stumble around quite a bit, I am confident "if not for the Grace of God, there go I."

I think a few other posters have taken a stumble lately as well.

The problem is this... people get banned, lets say for sarcasm. The problem for us is that the post that banned them is deleted and there with them goes the clear example of what is not acceptable.

I wonder if the mods could pin a post showing clear examples of what constitutes being adios-ed. Maybe an example that walks up to the line along with the one word or two that takes it over.

I have a dry humor and it doesn't always translate well in print. I also tend to post when I am tired and clearly should have waited until morning. I also tend to respond to someone who should have left well enough alone and realize that when you call someone out they might call out back. Anyway, I was wondering if you were still here. Good to see you back.
I've noticed quite a few long standing members drop out, and all right about at the same time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Varnish is tricky. I hope it works in this case. It's not just the varnish, but how it interacts with the underlying layer, the charring, etc. It looks tight and sealed, but you can't tell. Keep us posted. It is an interesting experiment.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Perhaps a subforum displaying the current banishments with their avatars locked in stocks...with a few sentences explaining the offence.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Just be careful not to char the rim on that thing when you go to smoke it, you'll ruin the whole aesthetic..nnnn

Just kidding puffy

To be honest I love that finish, Mr ChillLucky beat me too it, first thought was shou sugi ban cladding.

I'll be honest again and say I can't stand any kind of rusticated, sand blasted finish I've seen on a pipe - at all, but that I would buy; especially love the contrasted rim.bdw

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I only burned the thing yesterday, and haven't gone further. A band is most likely.

I was banned for "provoking the moderators" with a sarcastic protest about another of my threads being shut down. The point was to get the thread shut down with just a single post, so yes, it was intentionally provocative - I even made an overt jab at our current president, which I knew was bad behavior.

I won't do it again because I like this forum (and hope to meet some of you guys at the Richmond show). But backing away a bit, thinking again about why some threads get shut down, I don't understand the moderators' application of the rules. Or maybe it's the rules I don't understand. I suppose I should read them again.