PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
When I was a kid, I thought the coolest job out there was the guy that rides hanging off the back of the trash truck. The thought of the wind blowing through my hair at 50 mph, hanging off the back with one arm looking cool, jumping off before the truck comes to a stop…what’s not to like??? I can still see the horror on my 1st grade teachers face when I told her what I wanted to be when I grew up.

We can’t stay 6 years old forever. Some dreams were meant to stay just dreams!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I often think about my job and wish I had pursued a more romantic line of work such as: fire jumper, crab catcher, rodeo clown, bouncer, etc. but, I was always hesitant by the risk to one's life that these jobs pose. Can anyone suggest a career that is both romantic yet doesn't present so many opportunities for bodily harm?
I found a job in the public sector that balances office work with field activities, which has been great.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Certain times of the year, I am out riding a tractor back and forth across the fields, then I go to my studio and make art jewelry. Then weekends, I set in a tent and sell produce, and some weekends, I set in a tent and sell my art jewelry. In between, I gather up repair work from jewelry stores across the state and chain myself to my workbench through all hours of the night. Then once a week I work with high schoolers on developing their skills in making speeches and debate.
I work with my wife on her stand up comedy hobby, and her other businesses.

I’m rather happy with the diversity. I am delegating some of what I do to my daughters these days. My wife is demanding we travel more. But, I think the key is to diversify. My life is not for people who can set still or be lazy. The only way I can make it through a year is by never setting still. Move move move…. Get it done so you can get the next thing done, sometimes going days without sleep. Honestly, I HATE sleep. I hate setting down. What some people think of as relaxation, I consider torture.
…As I head out to rack 500 gallons of my newest business idea. I’m too busy to set around and think of dream jobs. I live the dream.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Totally off subject... Did you ever find a substitute for Shortcut?
Don't need to find a substitute because I'm still sitting on about 3/4# that isn't getting smoked.
If you're looking for a solid aromatic/english crossover try Sutliff Aromatic English 504C.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Certain times of the year, I am out riding a tractor back and forth across the fields, then I go to my studio and make art jewelry. Then weekends, I set in a tent and sell produce, and some weekends, I set in a tent and sell my art jewelry. In between, I gather up repair work from jewelry stores across the state and chain myself to my workbench through all hours of the night. Then once a week I work with high schoolers on developing their skills in making speeches and debate.
I work with my wife on her stand up comedy hobby, and her other businesses.

I’m rather happy with the diversity. I am delegating some of what I do to my daughters these days. My wife is demanding we travel more. But, I think the key is to diversify. My life is not for people who can set still or be lazy. The only way I can make it through a year is by never setting still. Move move move…. Get it done so you can get the next thing done, sometimes going days without sleep. Honestly, I HATE sleep. I hate setting down. What some people think of as relaxation, I consider torture.
…As I head out to rack 500 gallons of my newest business idea. I’m too busy to set around and think of dream jobs. I live the dream.
I'm totally exhausted from reading that...gotta go take a nap.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I wanted to be a ...... Lumberjack!
Cheese Shop Owner with no cheese.
Pet Shop Owner with less than lively birds.

Jan 27, 2020
When I was a kid, I thought the coolest job out there was the guy that rides hanging off the back of the trash truck. The thought of the wind blowing through my hair at 50 mph, hanging off the back with one arm looking cool, jumping off before the truck comes to a stop…what’s not to like??? I can still see the horror on my 1st grade teachers face when I told her what I wanted to be when I grew up.

We can’t stay 6 years old forever. Some dreams were meant to stay just dreams!

In some municipalities (maybe most?) garbage men make decent money. It certainly is a hard job but obviously, an "honest living", and doesn't shave years off your life like sitting at a desk all day does. When I was younger I knew this guy who worked at a small landfill in a rural area, a multinational coffee company was nearby and approached him to dump grounds there (wink wink) , he agreed and then sold them to farmers in the area and made a quick 20k or something.

Reactions: magicpiper
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Argentine Tango Taxi dancer and teacher ( similar to a gigolo ) .
I've been doing so for 25 years now. The best thing to do with your clothes on .
And then COVID roared its ugly head.

Last edited:
The one thing that prevents people from quitting their humdrum jobs and doing their passion is fear. Fear of failure, change, of themself, and starting over.

There’s a moral…. All of the shrimps of the ocean start off clinging to the underwater weeds and corals. There is safety in tge weeds, a continuous supply of food, but more predators. One by one, the shrimps let go to drift with the currents, but inevitably some will remain clinging to the weeds for safety, because they don’t know that there is more food and more safety in drifting free in the currents. If you dream of doing something else with your life, let go, do it. Wouldn’t it be better to fail reaching for the stars than to die having never tried?

Reactions: trouttimes