What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Sutliff Vanilla Custard. Smells great in the jar, packs easily, lights easily...smokes like fœtid silage hosed down with cow piss. If puffed very gently (somewhere between a nitrogen molecule excusing itself between two oxygen molecules and a flea fart), one detects the faintest ghost of vanilla amidst the cud and bile notes.
So what was the problem with it? :ROFLMAO:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Something by Dream Castle. I tried it in a cob; it ghosted the cob so badly I had to pitch the cob, as well as the tobacco.

Reactions: JOHN72

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It used to be Amphora nr 2, a cherry aromatic that made me realize that cherries are supposed to be eaten and not smoked. I actually don't think it was bad per se, I just didn't like it.
Then I popped a tin of Nørding Tumbleweed. I've smoked 6-8 bowls of it and for the first time since I lost my love of latakia, I can't make myself finish a tin of tobacco. It is sooo bad! There is some kind of nasty liquor in there, maybe rum, maybe sherry, but the main flavors are mold and nougat. It stinks like that too. I hate it, just as I hate the fact that I also bought a tin of both the other Nørding offerings. The thought of it sends shivers down my spine!

• Haha
Reactions: yohanan and JOHN72

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I didn’t like it at first either but I left it for a couple months and came back to it and now I quite enjoy it ( once in a while). I always smoke it in a little Georg Jensen cutty. Most of your pipes seem to be giants - I’d recommend trying it again in a smallish pipe if you’ve got one.
LotusEater, thanks for letting me know. I do have a few small pipes and will give it another try eventually! I have a really small clay cutty that may be just the pipe for it!!!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Capt Black grape (one bowl everyone knows the rule) followed closely in a tight race between C&D visions of Celephais and Rattray Bagpiper's Dream
@Merton I don't dislike Captain Black Grape bit a lot don't like it!
I enjoyed the packet @condorlover1 sent me last year but never heard of it until his offer of a few packets of Captain Black.
I was introduced to Captain Black when a re-enactor I met gave me some Captain Black Cherry to smoke in my clay pipe.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
It used to be Amphora nr 2, a cherry aromatic that made me realize that cherries are supposed to be eaten and not smoked. I actually don't think it was bad per se, I just didn't like it.
Then I popped a tin of Nørding Tumbleweed. I've smoked 6-8 bowls of it and for the first time since I lost my love of latakia, I can't make myself finish a tin of tobacco. It is sooo bad! There is some kind of nasty liquor in there, maybe rum, maybe sherry, but the main flavors are mold and nougat. It stinks like that too. I hate it, just as I hate the fact that I also bought a tin of both the other Nørding offerings. The thought of it sends shivers down my spine!
@workman I disagree with you regarding cherry blends as my favourite pipe baccy is Gawith Hoggarth Cherry ? Vanilla!
I had a memorable smoke of it in my clay pipe when I went to see the Lace Wars re-enactment at Cromford Mill in 2019...

Reactions: gamzultovah

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1792 Flake - This induced the most visceral reaction I've ever had to a blend. Given where it comes from, it's obviously quality leaf, so I hate to say it's the "worst," but it's the one I hate the most. Unfortunately I tried it not too long after I started smoking, and I didn't fully trust my own tastes. I actually smoked 2 full bowls of it TIRE FIRE. The rest of the tin has been sitting in a jar untouched for 10 years.

Agreed. The only blend that I could find zero enjoyment from, and likely for the same reason.

Reactions: krizzose

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This thread is very amusing. It's all good, we don't need to like what anyone else likes.

I see a lot of mention of 1792 which is among my favourite blends from the first bowl. Funnily enough even though they evoke strong reactions and commentary, I don't see a lot of bashing for Gawith flavoured stuff (aka Lakelands).

Other than C&D Mississippi Mud which is the only tobacco I gave away (otherwise it'd have gone into compost), I haven't been impressed with C&D and GLP at all (other than Byzantium and Bayou Morning Flake). Nothing annoyed me as much as Mississippi Mud, but I did sell all my C&D/GLP tins very fast after opening. HU Tillerman is another which really pissed me off, instant tongue bite from the charring light so it's not the smoke, there's likely some chilli added to it. Good for the kitchen, not good for smoking...