PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
NVM. I was getting them mixed up. I better get the book too.
Yeah, little ark, not big ark.

That's only one aspect of the story though. For example, they apparently believe their Emperors have all been direct descendants of Solomon...a tradition going back to the Queen of Sheba story.

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's only one aspect of the story though. For example, they apparently believe their Emperors have all been direct descendants of Solomon...a tradition going back to the Queen of Sheba story.
Plausible. Divine right of kings!!

Thanks for the link. I ordered the book directly from the author—amazon sux.

Reactions: brian64

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I just started Burning Daylight by one of my top three favorite authors, Jack London. I know I've read it but I don't remember it.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm excited! 4/5 books I ordered are now in. Still waiting on George Berkeley Principles of Human Knowledge. Have in hand:
1. Gone Beyond: The Prajnaparamita Sutras, translated by Karl Brunnholzl. Huge book, 900 pp.
2. Shantarakshita, The Adornment of the Middle Way (madhyamakalankara), in commentary by Jamgon Mipham
3. William S. Waldron, The Buddhist Unconscious: the Alaya-vijnana in the context of Indian Buddhist Thought
4. David Ross Komito, Nagarjuna's 70 Stanzas
5. Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche, Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness.

Reactions: Casual and Mtlpiper

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have several on the go:

• Don Quixote (holy cow, it's long!)
  • Tolkien's Children of Hurin (love the Professor's work)
  • Kazantzakis' Report to Greco (transcendent, intense, overflowing with life)
  • Sky Above, Great Wind: The Life and Poetry of Zen Master Ryokan (a great and humble man in harmony with the world and its sadness)
  • And I'm very excited to be starting Walter Otto's Dionysus, Myth and Cult. From the excerpts I've read, this promises to be a fascinating classic on mythology and mythic vision.
All very 'smokeable', except for Ryokan's poetry; I find that requires fresh air... or light Japanese incense... and maybe a lake view or giant willow.

Reactions: autumnfog

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
The Buddhist Unconscious: the Alaya-vijnana in the context of Indian Buddhist Thought: This is actually on my to-read list! And Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness is on my radar; it looks like a wonderful organization of the subject matter; I'd be interested to hear your review of these.

Is this study for a scholastic course of course of training, or your own personal study? Good luck, either way.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Re-reading Out of Town-A life Relived on Television by Jack Hargreaves. A very nostalgic reflection on what was and what has now sadly gone within the British countryside. All done in the way of “progress”.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: Carol

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Correction: 3. William S. Waldron, The Buddhist Unconscious: the Alaya-vijnana in the context of Indian Buddhist Thought is not on m reading list.

But for the last few days I've been rereading Meher Baba's God Speaks, a masterpiece if there ever was. I've read it about a half-dozen times and my understanding continues to both deepen and broaden.

Anyway, I grew dissatisfied with my prior notes and decided to start from scratch. In so doing I did what I call a first pass, and I will repeat passes until I have selected what is more important from the prior pass' excerpted importance. The goal is from hundreds of pages 10-20 pages of what is most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.