PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
the best part of the semois and I don't know if it's because of it's strength or it's chemistry you don't need to add any alkaline to it to get a quick nic hit. (if you snuff most tobacco without some bicarbonate or pickling lime you get the nic hit but it takes a long time) It makes a good snuff without doing anything more then grinding it up (which you can do with your fingers because of how dry it is but a mortar and pestle would be recommended for quantity). Honestly I sometimes just grab a pinch from a jar and rub it between my fingers until I have snuff (a few seconds). Wonderful stuff should be commercially available.
That's very interesting that you don't have to add an alkalizer. I'll have to grind and soft and check that out.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I've considered it a few times for certain blends that smell really good, but the urge has never been strong enough to go through with it.

Reactions: eljimmy

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I'm about to throw a wad of Marlin Flake in my mouth because it smells so damn good.
When I am able to find it, I buy Dan Tobacco's Salty Dog plugs as a Christmas gift for my nephew. It's a good smoke from my perspective as a pipe smoker. My nephew is a chronic daily chewer of regular chewing tobaccos. It's not easy to find and expensive. He said it gives a much greater buzz than regular chewing tobacco.

It originally became popular with English sailors (Salty Dogs) during the tall sailing ship era. They would cut off a slice of the pocket sized plug, rub it out and smoke it in their cutty pipes. In heavy weather they would bite off a corner and chew it.

Reactions: JOHN72 and eljimmy

lsnadon

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
Cheyenne
www.reallycooldude.com
Years ago, mid 80s, while in the Air Force and stationed in England, I became very close with an older British Gentleman that served in WWII (he was shot down over Belgium, in a supply plane, and made his way back to England via the Underground and continued to serve, as an honourable and loyal Englishmen would do). I did my best to keep him supplied with American cigarettes and Whiskey in exchange for his stories of days gone by..... We drank together at the pub quit often. One time he told me this.....

He had a friend when when he was younger that would chew tobacco while working in the fields. When he got all he could out of the tobacco, he would then take the ball of it and put it up in the brim of his hat while he continued to work, to let it dry out in the sun. When it was dry enough, he'd then smoke it it in a clay pipe. When he chewed the stem of the clay down to just the bowl, he'd then pop the bowl in his mouth and suck on it like a mint.

That man knew how to get his money's worth, for sure!!

Ray. Ray Jackson was the name of my friend. A great man..... He raised rabbits in his garden for meat, even in 1985. Fortunately, his wife managed to find a beef roast for my wife wife and I when we were invited for Sunday Dinner (the best meals I have ever had too - aside from the beef, everything came from his garden!). A proper English Sunday Dinner. His wife managed to keep everything perfect while we drank in the pub on Sunday afternoon, until they closed (we always promised to be there for dinner at her time, but we never managed to put the pints down until they booted us out).

I think I got off track there - I could go on forever about Ray.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I used to sneak Grandaddy’s Levi Garret as a kid and chewed plenty of Red Man in my baseball days. Moved on to the airplane business and the notion to chew on a navy flake crossed my mind one day. Was a great alternative when in close confines and a pipe wasn’t feasible.

Reactions: JOHN72 and eljimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.