PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
This is a stout smoke in terms of flavor. The latakia is present but not as much in terms of flavor for me, more in terms of putting hair on the chest of the Virginia's if that makes sense at all. The whisky is apparent the first half of the bowl and doesn't take away from the tobacco, but is clearly there. There are moments when I thought this could hit the frog on a log spot when aged - few moments. Anybody else a fan? Anyone know how it ages?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is a stout smoke in terms of flavor. The latakia is present but not as much in terms of flavor for me, more in terms of putting hair on the chest of the Virginia's if that makes sense at all. The whisky is apparent the first half of the bowl and doesn't take away from the tobacco, but is clearly there. There are moments when I thought this could hit the frog on a log spot when aged - few moments. Anybody else a fan? Anyone know how it ages?
I've still got some from 2015. Hasn't changed much if at all.

20200408_000154.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds nice. That's going on the list of next order.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
When I smoked it last (been awhile) it reminded me a lot of FMC. Sweet enough without the pungent smokiness/soap of the lat that keeps me away from many English blends.
I meant to write fmc. Yep, it mimics it some but much stronger in flavor. I almost get something mechanical in it like something in an autobody shop but I can't put my finger on it.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
A bit more time with it, focused, which I hate doing, but I had to with this...I think what im tasting is soil, cooked vegetables, and the sweetness is like from oats perhaps, barley would make sense. The whisky is there, but not separate. It's pulling things together. Ok, off my high horse. Just smoke it.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I can kind of see the FMC comparison but for me, what made those Frog blends unique (and hard to replicate) was McC's stoved Virginias. That said, this might scratch the same itch. I think Bothy is decent and solid but I much prefer SG Navy Flake. May just be that I prefer the rum topping to the whiskey.
I am with you. I do prefer SG NF too.

Status
Not open for further replies.