PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I still didn't answer because you don't ask with any sort of interest or respect. A person who does not wish to learn by reading, discussion or dialogue (you're really good at monologue though) chooses not to learn. If you wished to learn you would have engaged in dialogue rather than insult initially. I am now a lunch lady or custodian by your estimation. At least you can look down on them.
That’s a lovely statement that has nothing to do with this conversation.
At every turn, you have avoided direct answers with sophistry and disingenuous blather.
We were talking about teaching civics, you jumped in with nonsense that would typically go unchallenged. And you can’t answer direct questions.
You don’t want a conversation, you want to be right without effort. And when that doesn’t happen we go round and round while you look for an out, all the while repeating the same claptrap, hoping it will stick.
It won’t. Not with me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I doubt this will get the thread corrected but here it goes.

In my line of work as an expert I do work for the prosecution and the defense, it just depends who hired me first in most cases.

I view all assignments as purely a case. Not a mission, not a crusade, a case.

Depending on someone’s viewpoint, I’m either a “White Knight” or a “Whore”.

Here’s the bottom line. We all have rights. Everyone has fundamental rights. It’s those rights that have to be preserved for everyone. Everyone.

It doesn’t matter if the defendant is unlikeable or sympathetic, the law should be neutral. Unfortunately there is a current trend that neutrality is based on like ability or party persuasion. Not a healthy sign.

It doesn’t matter what you think about Cosby, what matters is extremely simple, was he prosecuted fairly? Was he given the benefit of a neutral trial? Was he treated a certain way because of his infamy or notoriety?

This country was founded on the right to a fair trial. John Adams defended, and won, the British Soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre. It was extremely unpopular at the time, but he went on to become a president.

Just remember, the fundamentals of the Cosby case may upset you, but you need to separate emotion from your perceptions of the case.

The rights you want trampled, might be the rights you depend on if you are ever unjustly accused of a crime.

An innocent man was executed in Texas years ago, simply because the investigators couldn’t separate emotion from facts. Science from feelings. And more importantly a sense of justice that trumped rights.

RIP Cameron Todd Willingham

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I’ve chosen not to read beyond the first page of this thread as I’m too far removed from it to offer anything of substance...
Don't feel bad about it, I only learnt this guy's name and story from this thread on this forum.

Or I should say "Came for the sex (in the title), stayed for the popcorn" :P

Other than that, agree to the letter with what Ashdigger posted above.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I doubt this will get the thread corrected but here it goes.

In my line of work as an expert I do work for the prosecution and the defense, it just depends who hired me first in most cases.

I view all assignments as purely a case. Not a mission, not a crusade, a case.

Depending on someone’s viewpoint, I’m either a “White Knight” or a “Whore”.

Here’s the bottom line. We all have rights. Everyone has fundamental rights. It’s those rights that have to be preserved for everyone. Everyone.

It doesn’t matter if the defendant is unlikeable or sympathetic, the law should be neutral. Unfortunately there is a current trend that neutrality is based on like ability or party persuasion. Not a healthy sign.

It doesn’t matter what you think about Cosby, what matters is extremely simple, was he prosecuted fairly? Was he given the benefit of a neutral trial? Was he treated a certain way because of his infamy or notoriety?

This country was founded on the right to a fair trial. John Adams defended, and won, the British Soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre. It was extremely unpopular at the time, but he went on to become a president.

Just remember, the fundamentals of the Cosby case may upset you, but you need to separate emotion from your perceptions of the case.

The rights you want trampled, might be the rights you depend on if you are ever unjustly accused of a crime.

An innocent man was executed in Texas years ago, simply because the investigators couldn’t separate emotion from facts. Science from feelings. And more importantly a sense of justice that trumped rights.

RIP Cameron Todd Willingham
Exaclty and well put. :)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Also would like to add;

This is the reason why we lock threads so quickly. I was reading this thread and decided to leave it open around page 4 because it hadn't really got too political. It was more so a CIVIL discussion about the legal system. Which I technically could have closed because that technically is political.

I tried to give the benefit of doubt that it would stay civil. Then I went to work last night and it blew up. I knew that it would, but I guess that it just proved our point of locking threads immediately. Give an inch, and some want the mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.