PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am confused at the rhetoric that this generates. It is a technique for keeping a pipe fresh that has been used at length to the great satisfaction of those that engage in this type of cleaning. Those who have never tried it or prefer not to clean their pipe this way have suffered no harm for not doing so.

And yet, there is a feeling by the anti-bathers that somehow those that bathe their pipes somehow violate certain, shall we say, universal principles of pipe smoking. What these principles are, I do not know. But I can clearly see that they are important to those who would prefer not seeing, learning, or knowing that pipes being dunked. It is an affront to their sensibilities. It is offensive by its very nature and at its core, it threatens to overturn the entire system of what is understood about life and smoking and pipes - so much so that thread after thread for well over a decade ends in the debate being locked.

Aug 1, 2012
I am confused at the rhetoric that this generates. It is a technique for keeping a pipe fresh that has been used at length to the great satisfaction of those that engage in this type of cleaning. Those who have never tried it or prefer not to clean their pipe this way have suffered no harm for not doing so.

And yet, there is a feeling by the anti-bathers that somehow those that bathe their pipes somehow violate certain, shall we say, universal principles of pipe smoking. What these principles are, I do not know. But I can clearly see that they are important to those who would prefer not seeing, learning, or knowing that pipes being dunked. It is an affront to their sensibilities. It is offensive by its very nature and at its core, it threatens to overturn the entire system of what is understood about life and smoking and pipes - so much so that thread after thread for well over a decade ends in the debate being locked.
I think this is missing the other side of the coin that the pro-water crowd has said some truly nasty things to those of us who prefer not to. They question our intelligence, our ability to read, our ability to distinguish between anecdotal evidence and scientific method (when in some cases the opposite is true). If I don't want to water flush, I get told how ignorant and stupid I am for not doing so. Please understand that no side here is innocent as both have been truly nasty.

EDIT: In one case I presented evidence of the effects of chloramines in municipal water sources on vulcanite oxidation and was treated quite badly by the pro-water crowd.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think this is missing the other side of the coin that the pro-water crowd has said some truly nasty things to those of us who prefer not to. They question our intelligence, our ability to read, our ability to distinguish between anecdotal evidence and scientific method (when in some cases the opposite is true). If I don't want to water flush, I get told how ignorant and stupid I am for not doing so. Please understand that no side here is innocent as both have been truly nasty.

EDIT: In one case I presented evidence of the effects of chloramines in municipal water sources on vulcanite oxidation and was treated quite badly by the pro-water crowd.

Do you have specific examples you can point to? The debate have certainly gotten lively at times but I don't recall the pro washers calling the no washers names just because they choose not to flush their pipes. Maybe I missed it which is why I'm asking you to cure some specific examples. Thank you l

Aug 1, 2012
If I did not fear reprisals from one who is already in the thread and has attacked me multiple times, I would post his quotes. However, he has done all that I have detailed.

Reactions: fireground_piper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

There is a wide swath of romance and mysticism in the piping community. Briar isn't merely a type of wood, it's a mysterious magical substance that exists outside of time and space. To some, smoking a pipe is a pleasant pastime and for others it's a portal to a realm of spiritual experience. This is just one area where views clash and the Inquisition feels obliged to burn practitioners at the stake.

Aug 1, 2012
Do you have specific examples you can point to? The debate have certainly gotten lively at times but I don't recall the pro washers calling the no washers names just because they choose not to flush their pipes. Maybe I missed it which is why I'm asking you to cure some specific examples. Thank you l
I also will remind that most of the threads have been deleted. I can only find one that is still available, though locked.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@fireground_piper

I applaud your attempt at furthering conversation by gathering and presenting information. I find it interesting.

The problem is that several members here on both sides of the question have abandoned reasonable debate. It's sort of like sports, religion or politics to these members. Some on both sides feel attacked by others (many legitimately) as the conversation has gotten nasty. That I can think of, three posters on one side of the discussion and two on the other routinely abandon the rules of the site and choose personal attacks. Regardless of the intention of the post, they will do so again.

That said, thank you for posting your experience.
Why not name names? It seems like a few posters simply relish a donnybrook, and will make little comments to try to spark same. You know who you are!

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

How about linking to that so we can examine who treated you poorly?

I don't think that anyone who chooses to not try water cleaning is any of the above. All fine, do as you please.

I do think that those who barge in on such thread with FUD, insults, or extraneous posts, etc. might be ignorant or just plain cussed.

Aug 1, 2012
How about linking to that so we can examine who treated you poorly?

I don't think that anyone who chooses to not try water cleaning is any of the above. All fine, do as you please.

I do think that those who barge in on such thread with FUD, insults, or extraneous posts, etc. might be ignorant or just plain cussed.
Why not name names? It seems like a few posters simply relish a donnybrook, and will make little comments to try to spark same. You know who you are!
I am being as general as possible so as not to rouse those posters and get this thread shut down. I bet it will happen eventually but I don't want it to happen.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People who water flush their pipes have different ways of doing it. Some trickle water, some go full force. Some use warm water and others use hot. Some don't disassemble their pipes while others do.

I've stated that I don't run water though my Vulcanite stems, and don't use alcohol on my Lucite stems.

There seems to be a consensus with those who use this technique, however they choose to do it, that it works quite well for them, which is, when all is said and done, what matters.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I just use my bidet to clean my pipes out now, works greeeeat!
Non sequitur story, but funny all the same. My wife and I were in Phenom Penn. We had just flown in from the States and I was exhausted and dare I say, feeling just a bit constipated. When I walked to the bathroom, I noticed a bidet. Ah, problem solved!

And whilst I was careful to avoid drinking any of the local water, or using any of the local water to brush my teeth or even put ice in cold drinks....

It never occurred to me.....

Yes, problem solved. For the next three days I was NOT constipated. Thankfully, I had brought antibiotics with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.