PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I first tasted red Virginia in McClelland's Red and Black. I immediately wished I had tasted red Virginia earlier and stocked up when online orders into Australia were still possible. I have one more tin of Red and Black that I'm saving for a special occasion.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It's what I like about it but, I get what you mean. Red Virginia needs to be gently sipped to avoid the sensory overload. Kind of like a high end, complex bourbon.

So to enjoy a red VA, I need to pour it over an ice ball and add bitters and a splash of maple syrup?

Now I’m thinking about the constituents for an Old Fashioned flavored tobacco blend.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
VA in general are more likely to be trickier. Funny thing is it's the lemon bright VA that can get me. The reds can be a little intense but not painful but brighter VAs are like little poorly trained dogs, I love them but they are bitey.
Im the same way. It seems like the more bright virginia the more acidic and bitey the blend is.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
There are few things I enjoy more than the funky pungency of a top quality matured Red Virginia. McClellands will always be a favorite, including their McCranie's output. I had thought that particular flavor profile was gone forever until Cringle Flake 2020 showed up last year. Right now I'm enjoying some 1997 Christmas Cheer.
I was smoking some 2014 Blackwoods Flake the other day and I see what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.