PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What about when it’s accompanied by a condimental leaf? Like a good Perique or some Turkish/Oriental?
To me, red Va stands out a bit strong. Perique is another one that stands out, but it doesn't bother me now. It used to, but the peppery-ness isn't that bad. If dark fruit is there, even better. The taste/flavor of red Va is overwhelming to me. Maybe I'll get used to it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
To me, red Va stands out a bit strong. Perique is another one that stands out, but it doesn't bother me now. It used to, but the peppery-ness isn't that bad. If dark fruit is there, even better. The taste/flavor of red Va is overwhelming to me. Maybe I'll get used to it.
Eh, life’s short. Smoke what you enjoy. If red ain’t it, it ain’t it. ?‍♂️

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in 2012 I found out I had an allergy to red Virginia tobacco. As soon as the smoke hit my tongue, I would get a nasty burn and I had to stop smoking it. It didn't matter what the blend was but it burned like hell. The only blend I ever found that I could smoke with a tiny bit of red is Solani 660 Silver flake and it has to be the first smoke of the day. It I smoke more than the first of the day I smoke it second or third of the day it starts burning. How did I find this out? Someone on this site mentioned they had problem with the reds. It was like a bulb went off and I was amazed. All the years of not knowing why some blends burned and others were fine struck me right between my eyes. I was so psyched because I had wanted to build a cellar for years but couldn't do it because I had no idea why some blends burned like hell and others didn't. I immediately started buying all kinds of blends that I knew didn't have reds, mostly McClelland and Rattray I stayed away from. I bought all kinds of Fribourg and Treyer, Astleys, 3 versions of 4 versions of Wessex. I bought all kinds of Capstan Blue Flake, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Brigham Klondike Gold, Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, Hamborger Veermaster. I also asked Jiminks which blends had reds as he can tell. He was my guide for many blends to stay away from. I built a 200 pound plus cellar in less than a year and I ended up with 43 different blends. The one time I screwed up was when I vought 20 or 25 tins of Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture without asking him and it has plenty of reds so I will sell those one day. I also did my own home work by buying a tin and testing it. It was easy to do with certain blends but things like Salty Dogs, Curly Block, Doblone D'Oro, I checked with Jiminks. I only bought one tin at a time and smoked half of the tin before making a decision. I wanted to test a few on my own just to see if I could tell on my own just in case Jiminks kicked the bucket I read all the posts of his where he described what he was eating for lunch or dinner. That man can eat some seriously delicious lunches and dinners. I prayed for him a lot as I think he was going to vaper lock any day.
Glad your still with us buddy. He is still with us thankfully, lol.

If any pne needs a list of the flakes and plugs that are in my cellar just let me know. I also have 2 aromatics that I save for when my mom comes over let me know. she likes the smell of Cult Blood Red Moon and Molto Dolce. She grew up with a pipe smoking dad. I am not sure what he smoked but for some reason Mixture 79 stays in my mind. It could be something totally different.

I figure there have to be more pipe smokers that suffer from the reds as I do. I believe it is because my high levels of uric acid that is in my system. I have had kidney stones more that ten times since around 1985. I used to be on allopurinol for years and that kept them away. One day I decided to forgo refilling my script and I never got them again. No idea why they went away, they just did. It must have been this hot blonde I was doing for years. lol

I wish anyone luck who suffers from the reds, I know how bad it can suck.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think you need to slow down with it. Smoke it in a smaller pipe and Va really benefit from sipping. They can get intense quickly. But red is pretty much my tops leaf in most ways.
I smoke very slowly anc have done so for ,amy years. I tried everything you can try technique wise, tried drying tobacco, tried smoking it with more moisture, tried everything possible over 12 years and when I got the tip about reds my world changed. It was incredible and when I found the cure, my world changed and I began buying like a madman. I have Escudo St James Flake, Solani 633. Now I am very happy with the 43 blends in my cellar. I smoke Astleys no 44 and 109. I smoke a whole world of new blends that I enjoy. Wessex Brigade Campaign Flake, Wessex Brown Flake, Wessex Gold Virginia Flake, Wessex Gold Brick. I can smoke so many new blends now and it was a blast loading up my cellar. Sure it is only 43 blends wide, but it is pretty deep. I have over 40 plus pounds of Gawith Flakes. I have over 14 pounds of Stonehaven with the youngest being 2012. One guy sold me 3 pounds of 2007 at 83 a pound. I had another guy sell me 3 pounds of 2006 Best Brown Flake from Samuel Gawith. I had another guy sell me 7 100 gram flake tins from 2002 for 17.00 a tin.

Back around 2003 or so people were selling stuff at amazing deals over at the smokers.uk. forum. the site is pretty I think guys needed money and wanted out of their tobacco. I bought other smaller lots of Stonehaven a couple pounds here a few here, I had a tobacconist sell me 12 bags of Stonehaven for 35 bucks a bag in one shot and then offered me 15 bags of Penzance. I didn't smoke Penzance so I called a buddy and he bought the 15. These guys wouldn't dare try and make a profit back in those days. It was pretty sweet before face book showed up.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I smoke very slowly anc have done so for ,amy years. I tried everything you can try technique wise, tried drying tobacco, tried smoking it with more moisture, tried everything possible over 12 years and when I got the tip about reds my world changed. It was incredible and when I found the cure, my world changed and I began buying like a madman. I have Escudo St James Flake, Solani 633. Now I am very happy with the 43 blends in my cellar. I smoke Astleys no 44 and 109. I smoke a whole world of new blends that I enjoy. Wessex Brigade Campaign Flake, Wessex Brown Flake, Wessex Gold Virginia Flake, Wessex Gold Brick. I can smoke so many new blends now and it was a blast loading up my cellar. Sure it is only 43 blends wide, but it is pretty deep. I have over 40 plus pounds of Gawith Flakes. I have over 14 pounds of Stonehaven with the youngest being 2012. One guy sold me 3 pounds of 2007 at 83 a pound. I had another guy sell me 3 pounds of 2006 Best Brown Flake from Samuel Gawith. I had another guy sell me 7 100 gram flake tins from 2002 for 17.00 a tin.

Back around 2003 or so people were selling stuff at amazing deals over at the smokers.uk. forum. the site is pretty I think guys needed money and wanted out of their tobacco. I bought other smaller lots of Stonehaven a couple pounds here a few here, I had a tobacconist sell me 12 bags of Stonehaven for 35 bucks a bag in one shot and then offered me 15 bags of Penzance. I didn't smoke Penzance so I called a buddy and he bought the 15. These guys wouldn't dare try and make a profit back in those days. It was pretty sweet before face book showed up.
I was saying that to the op. But you just happened to make your comment as I was writing mine so it looks like I was saying that to you. Totally understandable miscommunication.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No worries, this thread can be fine for anyone having trouble with the reds.
VA in general are more likely to be trickier. Funny thing is it's the lemon bright VA that can get me. The reds can be a little intense but not painful but brighter VAs are like little poorly trained dogs, I love them but they are bitey.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I don't have a reaction. But after 10 min of red Va, it's so intense I get literally sick of it. After stop smoking, that sweetness is welcoming, but no desire to light up. No chemical bite, just too much of good thing I guess.
Just curious if this reaction is blend specific or Red Virginia in general. My own experience is limited, but know that the C&D Carolina Red does not work for me at all due to a chemistry thing or something with me, but I really enjoy WCC Simply Red (and it's variants) since it seems to be well-balanced and not too bitey or intense.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I love red Virginias and find a fair bit of variation in strength and “mouth friendliness” amongst them.

Just as all Burleys are not the same, reds are not all the same. You may find one that suits you better than what you’ve tried. In the end if you’re not enjoying them there’s no point in forcing the issue. Try them again down the road and see if things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.