PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wonder how they're certain it's from smoking? I don't recall any headlines reading "Former Limp Dicks Report Stiffies Six Months After They Stopped Smoking".
Seems logical as smoking affects the efficiency of the blood supply. If you smoke and/or drink alcohol your erection will be impaired to some extant. And, for all who say it's not a problem. How would one know without quitting smoking/drinking for a few months and comparing performance with past performance. Gotta have a base line I think. I sometimes wonder if my performance, hardly ever a complaint if I say so myself, would have been better and more pleasurable if I'd never started smoking. Just idle curiosity these days.

Reactions: OzPiper

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I think it may be useful to younger adults in our thirties and fourties if in all your years of smoking you noticed gradual or abrupt/chronic health issues that you can attribute to smoking a pipe
Things like oral/dental damage/changes
Throat Pain/ chronic coughs
Just would like to hear if anyone can cite some drastic issues
I know we welcome young people to the hobby all the time, and pipes are indeed definitely therapeutic, but a lot of people neglect normal natural consequences of smoking even smoking a pipe.
I've been smoking 10 years and clearly notice pain and subtle changes in my jaw - could be the alcohol could be the smoke but it's there
I'm 74 and haven't experienced detrimental issues due to my pipe smoking, except for some discoloration of my teeth. The discoloration is not enough to bother me at all. However, even the discoloration I do have might be more attributable to my regular coffee and tea drinking. Be that as it may, both my dental hygienist and dentist feel that I will go to my grave with "all" of my natural adult teeth and I am not experiencing any gum diseases.

I do take precaution relative to not smoking my pipe around non-smokers. Odd as it may sound, one uncle of mine was a heavy all day pipe smoker and he passed away from normal age related issues, but his wife (my non-smoking aunt) ended up passing away with lung cancer! I do fear that there can be health issues for others due to second hand smoke and don't want to be a contributor to that possibility.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to keep it to a bowl a day, with a day off now and then, and time off when health issues arise. It does stain your teeth, and all that other ominous stuff. However, it is a way to center, relax, and listen to your thoughts, which may have healthful benefits.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm 74 and haven't experienced detrimental issues due to my pipe smoking, except for some discoloration of my teeth. The discoloration is not enough to bother me at all. However, even the discoloration I do have might be more attributable to my regular coffee and tea drinking. Be that as it may, both my dental hygienist and dentist feel that I will go to my grave with "all" of my natural adult teeth and I am not experiencing any gum diseases.

I do take precaution relative to not smoking my pipe around non-smokers. Odd as it may sound, one uncle of mine was a heavy all day pipe smoker and he passed away from normal age related issues, but his wife (my non-smoking aunt) ended up passing away with lung cancer! I do fear that there can be health issues for others due to second hand smoke and don't want to be a contributor to that possibility.
One of my pipe teachers was 86, smoking 3 packs of Camel unfiltered a day. Then again my maternal grandmother lived to 108 chain smoking. A lot has to do with genetics.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I think life span and health has a lot more to do with DNA than it does with smoking.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
No problems,so far.I smoke on the average between one and two pipes per day.I do back off if any burnout starts to set in.Been doing so for the past forty one years,but then again,I have a generally forgiving body chemistry.Not every one does.Get it checked out to make sure something bad isn't going on in there.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Weigh the risks and then, if you still want to injure your system, trust your genes and enjoy the burning weed. That's what I did nearly sixty years ago.

Any time you do something which reduces the oxygen in your blood is a negative. So, if you still want to make a purely selfish decision and smoke ... go for it. I did. So far, the only down side has been heart disease which necessitated a bit of surgery and a pacemaker. I guess I beat my genes into submission. I never did smarten up and still enjoy the side effects of taking smoke into my system. It's the nicotine I so enjoy. So, you pays your nickle and takes your chance.
I find this great advice because while it quite openly discusses pipe smoking's deleterious effects, and the effects they have had on the member, he also discusses the joys that it can bring. All of this said with NO DENIAL, which is extraordinary.

I started having respiratory involvement 5 years before I quit. Denial, and I put the awful thought of quitting out of my mind.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A pipe or two a week can, I think, not cause harm, though I really wouldn't know. But daily smoking, even if a single pipe, likely wouldn't be benign.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy