PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I think it may be useful to younger adults in our thirties and fourties if in all your years of smoking you noticed gradual or abrupt/chronic health issues that you can attribute to smoking a pipe
Things like oral/dental damage/changes
Throat Pain/ chronic coughs
Just would like to hear if anyone can cite some drastic issues
I know we welcome young people to the hobby all the time, and pipes are indeed definitely therapeutic, but a lot of people neglect normal natural consequences of smoking even smoking a pipe.
I've been smoking 10 years and clearly notice pain and subtle changes in my jaw - could be the alcohol could be the smoke but it's there

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pipe smoking is tough on your teeth and gums. I'd recommend using Biotene a couple of times per day even if you don't get tongue bite. It stimulates saliva production.

I am not a medical professional but I would venture to say a few bowls per week up to even a bowl per day has minimal health risks for most. More than that isn't benefiting your health IMHO. I smoke 5 to 6 bowls per day, I just don't GAF.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
It varies from person to person. Generally it causes gum disease, deep staining of your teeth, at least before they fall out. Other possibilities are mouth cancer, throat cancer, COPD, lung cancer, physical addiction, psychological addiction, and other rewards. Denial becomes your religion. Other than that, no fears.
How many teeth do you need? Lol? ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It varies from person to person. Generally it causes gum disease, deep staining of your teeth, at least before they fall out. Other possibilities are mouth cancer, throat cancer, COPD, lung cancer, physical addiction, psychological addiction, and other rewards. Denial becomes your religion. Other than that, no fears.

Aside from that, do you think pipe smoking is a good thing? :sher:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think it may be useful to younger adults in our thirties and fourties if in all your years of smoking you noticed gradual or abrupt/chronic health issues that you can attribute to smoking a pipe
I wouldn't consider 40s as younger being that middle age begins midway there, but at 47 I've been smoking a pipe for thirty years and haven't had any noticeable issue.

I've been smoking 10 years and clearly notice pain and subtle changes in my jaw
You're clenching too hard.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
None, other than probable staining of teeth, although red wine, tea, and coffee seem like contributing factors. (I do the six-month hygienist thing, and haven't been chewed out yet.) I like moderate tobacco use way too much to quit for a trifling thing like death. And cancer I have a cure for. But quit, if you think it's dangerous. What's there to think about? Hand-wringing ain't relaxing or remotely useful, and, to use a technical term, sucks.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I know we are all considering the use of tobacco, but overeating, lack of exercise, central obesity, breathing Roundup and other chemicals, eating plastic, driving fast, not heeding medical COVID19 advice (I've seen and heard of several), etc, etc, etc all can or cannot contribute to our ultimate demise. Heck, I could get run over today riding my bicycle.