PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
So I am aware the easy answer will be pipes, but...what should I expect to find at a pipe show?

Are there notable deals to be had? I'm assuming tobacco will be everywhere, but what else? I can drive to Vegas, but I have no clue whether it would be worth the time it will take.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
So I am aware the easy answer will be pipes, but...what should I expect to find at a pipe show?

Are there notable deals to be had? I'm assuming tobacco will be everywhere, but what else? I can drive to Vegas, but I have no clue whether it would be worth the time it will take.
While I haven’t been to Vegas show, I’ve been to Chicago show more times than I can count, as well as the Ohio and Missouri shows too.
Overwhelmingly it’ll be pipes, tobacco and accessories. But there’s also tobacciana, gadgets and cleaning supplies. Even seen fine writing instruments at the Chicago show a few years. As for deals, you have to search them out and not be afraid to do a bit of dickering. Just because that vintage sobranie has $XX asking price doesn’t mean they won’t accept $X. There’s a fair bit of horse trading too, but I’ve never brought pipes or tobacco with me, I’m purely a buying mode attendee.
Then there’s meet ups, smoking contests, raffles, etc.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

There will be a little of everything pipe related but the vast majority is pipes.

There are definitely notable deals to be had. I've gotten a few by dealing directly with the carver and a few that were the sellers personal pipes (as opposed to their retail selection).

Aside from deals and seeing some high end stuff what you can expect:

The entry fee is minimal ( I think it was $20 or less per person).

You can smoke the whole time while walking, talking, and meeting people.

There is a lounge/bar area where you can purchase beverages. I walked around the show last time with a pipe in one hand and a glass of red wine in the other.

Aside from meeting carvers there will likely be other forum members you will meet. They might even offer you some tobacco you've never had a chance to try.

I'll be there for sure. Hopefully I'll find a deal or two but more importantly I hope to get to talk with a lot of people both in the industry and from this forum. The comaraderie in the past years has been fantastic and what really made the show for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If and when I get to my next local pipe show, I'm going to feel like I'm living large, like I've emerged from the wilderness. My next Indian restaurant. My next live music or theater. It will seem so strange. Look at all those ... people!

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I wouldn't necessarily consider a pipe show to be the best place to walk away with high-priced pipes at a fraction of their value. Sure, you can make deals with vendors and carvers that will make you happy. But it's not about bargain-basement shopping. It's more about getting to see the pipes firsthand, talk to the guy or gal that made it, and hold it in your hand before deciding to fork over your cash. It's great for window shopping, talking with fellow pipe smokers, learning about something interesting at the Saturday night dinner, and just getting away and geeking out about pipes and stuff for a couple days.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wouldn't necessarily consider a pipe show to be the best place to walk away with high-priced pipes at a fraction of their value. Sure, you can make deals with vendors and carvers that will make you happy. But it's not about bargain-basement shopping. It's more about getting to see the pipes firsthand, talk to the guy or gal that made it, and hold it in your hand before deciding to fork over your cash. It's great for window shopping, talking with fellow pipe smokers, learning about something interesting at the Saturday night dinner, and just getting away and geeking out about pipes and stuff for a couple days.
True. However, during the last hour or so of the Vegas show a number of exhibitors will discount pipes to avoid having to cart them home. So you can sometimes get a modest break on a price. Also, some sellers are willing to haggle.
I've gotten a few good deals at Vegas and I've also seen pipes listed at stratospheric levels. You have to know what the market is.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's great for window shopping, talking with fellow pipe smokers, learning about something interesting at the Saturday night dinner, and just getting away and geeking out about pipes and stuff for a couple days.

I couldn’t agree more. I enjoy pipes & tobaccos but honestly already have a lot of each. The best thing about shows for me personally is spending time with old friends and making new ones.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
If and when I get to my next local pipe show, I'm going to feel like I'm living large, like I've emerged from the wilderness. My next Indian restaurant. My next live music or theater. It will seem so strange. Look at all those ... people!
TAPS hasn't updated their site since February 2020 and the Facebook site has been removed. I've tried emailing and get no response. I'm not sure we will see a pipe show in Raleigh any time soon if ever.

• Sad
Reactions: SpookedPiper

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
TAPS hasn't updated their site since February 2020 and the Facebook site has been removed. I've tried emailing and get no response. I'm not sure we will see a pipe show in Raleigh any time soon if ever.

That would suck, but I think the chances for the Richmond show are high and that’s only 2 1/2 hours from Raleigh. Richmond last time round was a fantastic event.

Status
Not open for further replies.