What's Your Favorite Pipe for Backpacking or Camping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Much as I love cobs, I believe I would prefer a Peterson 314 Standard, mentioned above. More pocketable when broken down, and being outdoors, you can pull the stem and fling the reeking juices that build up in the reservoir. And in the unlikely event that you lose it, what is it? A hundred dollar pipe, at most?

And speaking of reeking juices, chaw comes to mind, even if not a habitual user. And bourbon. I like to take occasional small sips of bourbon when hiking. Clears the head. (TMI? Hey, you axed.)

View attachment 83169
Was addicted to chewing tobacco for 25 years. Can’t imagine using it now. Yuk!?

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
For what I call camping, either a Morgan Bones or MM Legend or Washington. Featherweight, works with almost anything you pack in them, and are priced for a more rugged adventure. For what Mrs. Rookie calls camping, a big Danish freehand.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
another vote for a Falcon here
virtually indestructable ,a couple of bowls and your set for what ever nature throws at you
Used to do a lot of backpacking and cycle touring with an old pipe smoking mate of mine in Scotland. Back then I used to carry and smoke an Alco. Old Alex always carried two pipes just in case he lost one along the way. Falcons usually but on the odd ocassion he also carried a Peterson standard. Condor was both our choice of baccy.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I'll second the Stanwell. Inexpensive & acrylic stems. I get rusticated, easy to hold onto if cold/wet. And big bowl for long smokes. I take two, one for Virginias & one for Burleys.

Those Morgan Bones look good too, affordable & sturdy. I just like briar...

Reactions: Reggie and Casual

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Take it from someone who just ran over a cob with a several ton machine; you want to use cobs for situations that may result in harm to the pipe. I'd much rather lose a ten dollar jobbie in the woods than the sacred relic that is my Carlo Duca Lumberman. That being said, sometimes it's good to have a trusty briar. I remember my first encounter with Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake took place on the banks of the Bow River with a forty dollar Billiard. It ranks right up there with the time I drove my Mustang all along the Sunshine Coast on Vancouver Island, though at that time I was not a pipe smoker.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Another option not yet mentioned here...a Brylon pipe such as Yellow Bole. If you're OK with the way they smoke, they are virtually indestructible.

lmchlwst

Lurker
Jun 4, 2021
Oklahoma
The Eltang basic pipes fit the durability and weight requirements you spoke of. Those pipes are feather light with their carbon shanks. My basic has replaced some of the briars I take to accompany my cons on hiking and camping trips.
I saw those and also thought about these. The ability to trade stems is interesting. Short for walking, long for campfires.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

lmchlwst

Lurker
Jun 4, 2021
Oklahoma
This may start a debate as to if this counts as a pipe but...
7188466_orig.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The right pipe for outdoor activities is certainly a cob. They come in all sorts of weights and sizes.
For hiking or backpacking or camping I'd go with the lightweight MM Tom Sawyer model. It's a natural or unfinished small bowl short stemmed cob. Be sure you break it in a bit more slowly than a polished cob.

Tom-Sawyer-Black-e1594927973683.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have to choose in a hurry, MM cobs that aren't your treasures are probably a safe choice. Briars that were moderately priced and smoke well are a good choice. I'd think long and hard before taking along any pipe that was higher priced or has special features or emotional meaning to you. I'm attached to most of my pipes, but some I could lose without too much anguish. MM cobs are generally good smokers and will do the job if you have to choose in a hurry. If you take along something that you prize, and you lose it, you might idolize that pipe for the rest of your life. Pipes are that way.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
If you have to choose in a hurry, MM cobs that aren't your treasures are probably a safe choice. Briars that were moderately priced and smoke well are a good choice. I'd think long and hard before taking along any pipe that was higher priced or has special features or emotional meaning to you. I'm attached to most of my pipes, but some I could lose without too much anguish. MM cobs are generally good smokers and will do the job if you have to choose in a hurry. If you take along something that you prize, and you lose it, you might idolize that pipe for the rest of your life. Pipes are that way.
I agree. Just because it is a cob doesn't mean it is not valued. My little Carolina Gent is a good example of a pipe I value more than some of my estate briars.

C

carolinasmokes

When outdoors I usually carry a couple of Eaton or Pony Express cobs. They're small. light weight and easy to clench for long periods of time. A rugged little pipe that always delivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: newbroom