What's Your Favorite Pipe for Backpacking or Camping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lmchlwst

Lurker
Jun 4, 2021
Oklahoma
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

This is my first non-introductory post and I found the forum while searching for corn cob pipes.

I was looking for a pipe to take backpacking. In my mind corn cobs were entirely disposable. After reading a few choice and informative posts, I realized that some people who know a lot more about pipes than me really like them. And they keep them for a long time.

I still want a corn cob for the reduction in weight and cheap replacement costs.
I'm looking at the Dagner Poker or the Emerald Bent, though at those prices I may just order both.

I told you all of that so I could ask you this.

When weight and a higher likelihood of the pipe's unfortunate demise are issues, what pipe do you reach for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 23, 2019
Stick to cobs.

Or for something sturdier, look into one of the many variants of Morgan's Bones pipes.

EDIT: here's a pic -

ZJdkFBUl.jpg

One of my favorites for walking the dog. But maybe for camping you'll wanna look into a poker shape or something you can set down.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
In order of practicality and personal preference.

1. A Missouri Meershaum Cob.

2. A rusticated Peterson System Standard 314

3. A Tom Eltang Elephants Foot Snail Grade.

I have taken the first camping, hunting, and fishing with not issues.

If I had my pick of any pipe in the world I'd go with no 3, because who wouldn't want to be the type of person who could do that and not care. ?

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I’d go with a Morgan bones, maybe one of the short ones so the stem doesn’t get damaged. I just think the plastic stems on MM cobs are too prone to breakage.

But what do I know. I just finished a 3 day trip down the Escalante in Utah and while I brought two pipes, the one I smoked exclusively was a Castello sea rock. ? I had it well protected in a sunglass case and had a bowl after dinner every night. I’m always a fan of combining pleasurable experiences, so when I backpack I eat well, drink well, and smoke well. There is nothing like a bowl in a spectacular outdoor setting.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Cobs all day! I have a 10 year old cob that's doing just fine, and 4 others more that are at least 5 years old. With proper care they'll last a long time. That being said, no big deal if you accidentally drop one in the camp fire. I prefer the bigger bowled MM cobs: Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, 5th Avenue Diplomat.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
My hiking/outdoor pipes are either cobs or Crowns (relatively inexpensive Italian made briar basket pipes with non-vulcanite stems).
Cobs are great because of their light weight and ease of replacement if something were to happen. They also float, so that's a plus.
These days, I try my best to leave the vulcanite stemmed pipes at home and minimize their exposure to UV.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I haven’t camped since taking up pipe smoking, but absolutely cobs would be the choice, I personally wouldn’t risk a nice pipe I cared about in the Bush, at least at this point in my collection, maybe one day when I had more nice ones…. Also antique pipes that are old and I don’t care about I would take.

Lastly, cigars are always a good choice outdoors.

Reactions: dcon and BROBS

lmchlwst

Lurker
Jun 4, 2021
Oklahoma
I haven’t camped since taking up pipe smoking, but absolutely cobs would be the choice, I personally wouldn’t risk a nice pipe I cared about in the Bush, at least at this point in my collection, maybe one day when I had more nice ones…. Also antique pipes that are old and I don’t care about I would take.

Lastly, cigars are always a good choice outdoors.
I do have an estate pipe that I never smoke. It was a random gift. That's a good point.

Reactions: BROBS