PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Sometimes I look forward to a smoke and am a little disappointed. Sometimes it's a blend that has blown my mind in the past. Just depends on the pallet at any given time I think
Same here. That is exactly why I have a problem with quick first impression reviews. Especially my own impressions. It takes some time to get to know a blend and I have often found it difficult to recognize the flavors that more competent tasters find in a blend. Same with wines. Depends on the food, mood and how the stars are aligned. But smoking less and a long pause sure helps.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This will change when I retire, but right now I only smoke on the weekends and apparently too much. I'm finding my quality of enjoyment decreases with additional bowl. I might be doing something wrong that my more experienced fellow members may know, but for me right now, one or maybe two bowls would probably keep the quality constant.

Part of the problem is getting another pipe which I want to try out. So, I am not getting more in the short term. I've actually settled on three that I prefer anyway.

Anyone have a similar experience?
that's most things. The mind and person needs variety.

Reactions: OzPiper

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I've been meaning to start a thread about this.
All of my most satisfying smokes have been after at least a few days off from the pipe.
I've experienced this phenomenon time and time again. I have also intentionally repeated the experiment with identical results. At this point I fully expect that every bowl after my first one of the day is likely to be a disappointment and I know that if I want a really really good one that the way to make it happen is to abstain for a while. As someone who smokes primarily for flavor I have no problem doing this regularly. I'd much rather smoke 2 fantastic bowls a week than 20 mediocre ones.