PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just a side note ... OP @puff_not_snuff had mentioned last year about an Indian restaurant called Bangalore Express. There is a mom and pop Taco place next door to it called Casa Mexicana (I think) which makes quite good traditional tacos.
The little hole-in-the-wall family owned taquerias are my favorite places to eat.
A big bowl of menudo and a taco or two... heaven.

Jan 27, 2020
Just a side note ... OP @puff_not_snuff had mentioned last year about an Indian restaurant called Bangalore Express. There is a mom and pop Taco place next door to it called Casa Mexicana (I think) which makes quite good traditional tacos.

I agree but prefer El Oaxaqueño #2 in New Brunswick. I do not go to many Mexican restaurants now because I do not eat pork, chicken, goat, lamb, antelope or beef any longer, and find the smell of chorizo to be a strong temptation.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
X2................. Deja vu
Here is the wild part. My computer added the second copy of that statement. I wrote it originally on my phone. Tonight, on a laptop, I was trying to post something when that post came up and reposted. I am beginning to think my dad is right about technology having mind of its own.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here is the wild part. My computer added the second copy of that statement. I wrote it originally on my phone. Tonight, on a laptop, I was trying to post something when that post came up and reposted. I am beginning to think my dad is right about technology having mind of its own.
HaHa!........... That happens.......... I thought maybe you were "slipping a bit", and forgot that you posted earlier!!........ :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I think your Dad is right.......................
Taco Bell is about a once every other year event for me, with White Castles in the other years........
My gut just can't take them.............., AHHHHH I miss my youth..........

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Several comments in this thread are predicated on Taco Bell being considered Mexican food, comparing it to authentic, hole in the wall, mom and pop Mexican joints.

It’s not even a comparison. Those hole in the wall joints are in a completely different category and shouldn’t be compared to Taco Bell.

Now that we have that out of the way, if you’re not getting 4 steak chalupas, a quesadilla, and 3 cheesy Gordita melts, covering the entire lot with Diablo sauce, and washing it down with a gigantic ass Mountain Dew, I don’t think we have much to discuss on the whole Taco Bell topic.

telescopes

HaHa!........... That happens.......... I thought maybe you were "slipping a bit", and forgot that you posted earlier!!........ :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I think your Dad is right.......................
Taco Bell is about a once every other year event for me, with White Castles in the other years........
My gut just can't take them.............., AHHHHH I miss my youth..........
My dad says all sorts of things. He lives in the heart of hillbilly country. I asked him about this spat of shootings. He told me it was liberals paying off people to do these things with the promise that their families would be looked for afterwards with money. I asked about the rain in the Midwest and he told me Biden is seeding the clouds in order to save the earth from global warming. He isn’t joking. His friends and church people all say the same thing. For every thing he says, it often turns out he’s right about half the time. He put his wife in a hyperbolic chamber for forty treatments to deter dementia and she improved. He predicted Snowden five years before he went public. Who knows.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a 24 hour Whataburger (a Texas thing) and a Taco Bell both stumbling distance from my house.

I've had to practice great restraint. I allow myself one self loathing visit per quarter.

There are too many great independent joints around, but none at 3am...

Taco Cabana is what Taco Bell would be with fresh ingredients, but fewer and farther between.

I usually pick the scariest trailer I can find for the good, authentic grub.

Cash only, no habla, sign hand made and mis-spelled. You know you're in for a treat!

Salsa choices are verde and rojo. Always get the verde!

Damn, where's my keys..... ???

1622606181009.jpeg

telescopes

Several comments in this thread are predicated on Taco Bell being considered Mexican food, comparing it to authentic, hole in the wall, mom and pop Mexican joints.

It’s not even a comparison. Those hole in the wall joints are in a completely different category and shouldn’t be compared to Taco Bell.

Now that we have that out of the way, if you’re not getting 4 steak chalupas, a quesadilla, and 3 cheesy Gordita melts, covering the entire lot with Diablo sauce, and washing it down with a gigantic ass Mountain Dew, I don’t think we have much to discuss on the whole Taco Bell topic.
Maybe, but consider this. I live just about on the boarder of Mexico. What is authentic Mexican? in México, the food is diverse and as different than the next state over. Every region is different and unique. Taco Bell is a unique expression of something that is so much more than any mom and pop or hole in the wall is; in that all of these places are simply expressions of something that is so much more than most Americans will ever have the pleasure of knowing.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Taco Bell is brilliant. They are nothing short of genius in the arena of fast food.

That's a good bang for the buck one right there. Another excellent in the same vein is El Yucateco.

71qtiVBTieL._SY445_.jpg

Also T-Bell is the shizzle. Must do's - Get your burritos toasted, add Chipotle or creamy jalapeño sauce if not already equipped, and always comb that value menu.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That's a good bang for the buck one right there. Another excellent in the same vein is El Yucateco.

View attachment 82676

Also T-Bell is the shizzle. Must do's - Get your burritos toasted, add Chipotle or creamy jalapeño sauce if not already equipped, and always comb that value menu.

Get the El Yucateco black version. Give me a minute and I’ll post a photo...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Maybe, but consider this. I live just about on the boarder of Mexico. What is authentic Mexican? in México, the food is diverse and as different than the next state over. Every region is different and unique. Taco Bell is a unique expression of something that is so much more than any mom and pop or hole in the wall is; in that all of these places are simply expressions of something that is so much more than most Americans will ever have the pleasure of knowing.

True, but that’s boiling it down to semantics. By that logic, Burger King could be considered Mexican, too.

Aug 1, 2012
That black label is some good ****.

Here's my El Yucateco story. In India it is accepted that most Indians have insane spice tolerance. I love spice and because of my, comparatively, pale skin I am often thought of as one who can't handle spice. So, lunch at my workplace was pretty bland so I would bring my daily bottle of hot sauce. I had just run out of my last bottle and brought some Yucateco xxxhot. I was enjoying and one of my colleagues who was known for loving spicy stuff asked if he could try. I said sure and he doused his lunch about the same as I had and started eating. He finished it but was clearly hurting by the end of it all. I brought a few hotter sauces later (if you've ever heard of Burns and McCoy Exhorresco...) and he always tried a little but first before dosing up his food.

Status
Not open for further replies.